Lanza grapes vs Regina (or other) grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niko13

Junior
Reaction score
For the past 10 years I have purchased 20 lugs of Regina grapes from my produce supplier. I had plans on trying something different this year and planned on purchasing 10 lugs of Lanza (cabernet) and 10 lugs of Regina grapes. I got sticker shock when I saw the price for Lanza grapes ($90/lug vs $40/lug for Regina). Do other home winemakers who make their wine from grapes feel that the price difference is worth it. My family thoroughly enjoys my wine made from the Regina grapes and I am asking myself if it is worth the added expense to go with the Lanza grapes.

The Cab definitely got expensive this year. But I will say all the Lanza grapes I've gotten the last few years have produced really good wines. I can't compare to Regina, but I've been very happy w/ Lanza.

Someone told me one time that Regina buys their grapes from all over the place from whoever has them the cheapest. It’s very inconsistent in quality year to year. Lanza from what I’ve read owns their vineyards so they have a lot more control over their quality and consistency. I don’t know how true that is about Regina, or how noticeable the difference is. Just relaying what an old timer told me once.

Back