Lalvin C yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigH

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has used Lalvin C to ferment their wine. It is reported to consume up to 45% of the initial malic acid in the must. I have not been able to find this yeast in small quantities.

I have used 71B-1122 with good success, but I wonder if C might reduce a touch more acid. Curious about using this yeast on white wines that will eventually be backsweetened.

H

I just saw your post.. yes last year we used lalvin C for some Frontenac grapes and some Chambourcin that were high acid. I had to buy it in a big quantity too. We haven’t racked those wines in a while but are due to rack soon. I will let you know how they are doing when we rack. The yeast itself fermented fine and just tasting after the second racking it seemed the acid was less.
As your post is a couple months old .. did you move forward with lalvin C?

As your post is a couple months old .. did you move forward with lalvin C?

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't used it. Don't really know where to find it in the quantities I need. Finding information on it is also difficult

H

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't used it. Don't really know where to find it in the quantities I need. Finding information on it is also difficult

H

Yes I agree. I couldn’t find much info on it. And never could find smaller amounts. I can mail you some of mine .

I can mail you some of mine .

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that we get cooler weather. I freeze all my white juice and thaw it when I can ferment it at the temp I want (usually after Halloween).

H

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that we get cooler weather. I freeze all my white juice and thaw it when I can ferment it at the temp I want (usually after Halloween).

H

Just shoot me a message when you are ready. [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back