Lacto Fermented Dills...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried salsa and tomatoes with basil. The salsa is good but I think I prefer regular cooked salsa more. I don't do pickles or beans because I boil them when canning which kills the lacto.

I tried salsa and tomatoes with basil. The salsa is good but I think I prefer regular cooked salsa more. I don't do pickles or beans because I boil them when canning which kills the lacto.
I lacto ferment various veggies...then toss em in my Vitamix with store bought canned diced jalapeno tomatoes to make salsa. It's Delish!

Cheers!

Sounds delicious, I've made sauerkraut. Care to share your technique on the dill pickles?
I use a 3.5% salt brine -- 133g pink Himalayan salt to 1gal H20.

Cukes plus...

I add garlic, peppercorns, coriander, dill weed, sometimes red pepper flakes, and raspberry leaves for tannins (aids the crunch!). Let em ferment lightly covered at room temp 7-10days then toss in fridge. ✌

Cheers!

Last edited:
Is lacto fermented different from fermented pickles? We mainly can dill pickles in vinegar solution, but I did try fermenting dills once that were a delicious mushy mess. I loved the zippiness but need to figure out how to keep more firm. Suggestions? BTW, I added oak leaves instead of raspberry or grape leaves.

Lacto fermented veggies means they are not canned. You leave them at room temp for 3-10 days (this is somewhat new to me). The process is similar to sour kraut etc. Dill pickles are traditionally made with a brine/vinegar solution and are often hot water bath canned. The lactic acid that is created when the salted veg sits on your counter tastes funky, sour and should last in your fridge longer than unfermented food.

I also just learned that adding a little calcium carbonate into each jar helps keep "pickles" crisp.

Is lacto fermented different from fermented pickles? We mainly can dill pickles in vinegar solution, but I did try fermenting dills once that were a delicious mushy mess. I loved the zippiness but need to figure out how to keep more firm. Suggestions? BTW, I added oak leaves instead of raspberry or grape leaves.
Lacto-fermented is the same thing as fermented. The natural fermentation produces lactic acid which, along with salt, preserves the vegetables. I always use grape leaves for crisp pickles.

One more thing. I recently made a couple of batches of sweet pickles that involved a 7 day fermentation period then an overnight bath in alum water (for crispness), then a 6 hour rinse in vinegar. Finally, the pickles are packed in sugar and pickling spices which leaches the liquid from the pickles and the pickles are then packed in that liquid in jars. No processing is required.

Anyone else lacto ferment dill pickles??

Cheers!
We make them every year, but around here they are called Fresh dills or Fridge dills. They do last a long time in the fridge(unless the son & grandson come over), then they don't last so long. We put them in ice cream pails or a gallon jar.

I've found smallish cukes work best for me and keep a great crunch :) --about the size of a popsicle stick

Cheers!

The mushiness tends to be caused by a lack of tannin. As wine makers you may have powdered tannin but I love to use horse radish leaves as my tannin source when using salt to pickle (the brine discourages other bacteria and encourages the lacto) If you use vinegar you might be pickling but that ain't lacto pickles.

The mushiness tends to be caused by a lack of tannin. As wine makers you may have powdered tannin but I love to use horse radish leaves as my tannin source when using salt to pickle (the brine discourages other bacteria and encourages the lacto) If you use vinegar you might be pickling but that ain't lacto pickles.
The good news is that my first and only failure of fermenting pickles led me to my second venture into fermenting -- wine!!:db

Latest posts

Back