LACKING PROPER SG I THINK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
winemaker81

Ok, so I ordered the EC-1118 and nutrient. I followed your procedure for preparing the yeast, and then put it into the SF where the wine has been racked. At the time of racking, I added Camden tablets. So, as I recall, the yeast needed oxygen in the PF, but not in the SF. But, if I am trying to start the yeast activity up in the SF for sugar reduction, will I need to stir in air so the yeast can use it? Or, do I let the new yeast eat without adding air?

Overnight, the yeast is barely starting to work as I can see very small bubbles forming in the wine up at the very top. I have not seen any bubbling through the air separator as yet.

@maggly, you are starting a new yeast colony, so the yeast wants O2 for reproduction. Stirring is a good idea, beginning 24 hours after inoculation.

Expect at least 24 hours after inoculation to see much activity. The yeast is reproducing, not eating, so CO2 production will be lesser.

As I said previously, activity in the airlock tells you little of value. Check the SG every 24 hours.

BTW -- use an "@" before the username (like I did above) so the forum knows to notify the person that you tagged them.

Latest posts

Back