Lack of Ingredients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladeofthemoon

Drunken God
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

its been a while since i last posted. normally im quite talkative on forums, but considering im still trying to make my first batch of wine i thought it prudent to not offer advice. :D

i am kind of stuck with the ingredients again. while i have managed to get maltic, tartaric and citric acids of pharmaceutical grades and plan to mix them in 1 lt of water with appropriate percentages( i have about 1 KG each of all three), i am stuck trying to get a yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, liquid tannin and bentonite finings sulphite crystals. oh and wine conditioner as well.

i read somewhere that tea can be used instead of tannin, but how concentrated it should be i couldnt find anywhere. are the rest of the ingredients also necessary that without them i cant make wine at all? or are they there for a perfect wine? any substitutes that you all can suggest, i would really appreciate. i dunno about my wine, but my "fermentation" is definately stuck :p

Holy wine skins Blade! Be careful mixing all that stuff, better put on a pair of safety glasses first!

Blade:

Please explain why you don't just buy these things from wine supply store. Do you live somewhere that they are not available?

Please update the Location field of the Control Panel. It will help me to remember that you can't get stuff readily.

Steve

Holy wine skins Blade! Be careful mixing all that stuff, better put on a pair of safety glasses first!

lol... holy wine skins?? i can honestly say i havent heard of that one before. :p ya i'll be careful. shouldnt be dangerous considering im mixing in mineral water :D
Blade:

Please explain why you don't just buy these things from wine supply store. Do you live somewhere that they are not available?

Please update the Location field of the Control Panel. It will help me to remember that you can't get stuff readily.

Steve

Hi steve... yep, i cant buy from a wine supply store as there are none in India. Even the ingredients i have now are after a lot of hard work trying to find someone my employees know who works in a pharmaceutical shop. but the things in this topic for which i am asking for substitutes, even he cannot find yet for me. :(

I don't know if this will help at all, but maybe having the proper chemical names of some substances will help your friend with the pharmaceutical connections source them for you. A common constituent of yeast nutrient is diammonia phosphate, and the sulfite crystals you're talking about are potassium metabisulphite. I'm not sure, but I think pectic enzyme is also known as pectylase. Also, wine conditioner is simply invert sugar with potassium sorbate added to prevent fermentation of the product on the shelf. If you can get your hands on potassium sorbate, you can easily sweeten your wine to taste after fermentation is complete using sucrose or invert sugar, etc. and then just treat the wine with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite to stabilize. Hope this is some help, at least!!

ure a life saver manimal.... esp about the wine conditioner. i had managed to lay my hands on the chemical names of yeast nutrients and sulfite crystals, but i wasnt sure if they were the rite ones so i was keeping my fingers crossed hoping to get some alternates but i hope i can get the remainder of the things now.
i tell you, its tough making wine here just cause of the lack of ingredients supply. and those who do supply, want u to get into the business and make loads before they will supply to u. :p

Friends in The Right Places

If I had the right friends in the right places...well...I may forget about wine and start a whole new forum!!:D

I know it might take some time to arrive, and shipping might be a problem, but why not just order all this from on of the many websites all around the web. This site (Click here) ships to India. Might as well just get it all at once, and from a place that has them for the purpose of wine making. A lot of chemicals you get through pharmaceutical channels have additives like cornstarch, chalk, Iron, Charcoal, and oils in them (to name a few) and in different ratios form one provider than form another. mostly under "Inactive ingredients" and are meant for medical uses. those Inactive ingredients might be inactive in you, but might also mess up the outcome of your wine.

Last edited:
hey thanks.... this is really awesome. and the ingredients are dirt cheap too. fantastic. im gonna place the order today itself. man, im really glad i found this forum. :)

Hey man just glad I finally had a chance to help others on this site, just like others on this site has helped me.

Ps) I also see you are a martial arts lover, I am a Aiki-jujutsu Instructor, and also Instruct Iaijutsu (A quick draw sword stile) as well as other arts.

Last edited:
Hey man just glad I finally had a chance to help others on this site, just like others on this site has helped me.

Ps) I also see you are a martial arts lover, I am a Aiki-jujutsu Instructor, and also Instruct Iaijutsu (A quick draw sword stile) as well as other arts.

Yup, i would also love a chance to give back the help ive received but im still trying to make my first batch. hehe, so no experience yet. :)

ure an instructor? awesome. i have been training in Kyokushin Kaikan Karate for 17 years and did aikido in the middle of that time for 2 years. :) i love meeting other martial artists. :)

Blade, sounds like you and Con shouldn't have any problem chopping up fruit!!!:) Maybe even while it is mid-air!:)
Troy

conquistadude...... the website just cancelled my order cause it doesnt ship to india. :( guess im back to using the alternative solutions as was suggested by the others. But thanks for the info. :)

Hang tough blade,somebody in here I am sure can help find someone who will ship your way! Maybe Luc knows of a place in Europe that will ship to you. Good Luck
Troy

what are the laws regarding Home Wine making in India, or even your region? IN japan it is illegal to make wine above 1%abv, which basically means its illegal all around, because whats the point otherwise. There was a guy not to long ago from japan telling use about how hard it was to get the stuff he needed, which makes sense because why sell to a place that you can't even use it. soooooooooooooooooooooo long story short, check your laws because why ship to a pointless place. so you have homework: laws...India....GO!:p

in the mean time I will look for another site.

Last edited:
Dont know if this will help..... But heres a link to wines from india.Are there any wineries close to you that you can visit?Maybe they can help with your search if not help you get some supplies too. http://indianwine.com/cs/default.aspx

well after going through a few pages, i havent seen any thing which says that wine making is illegal in india per say. I dont think it will be a problem as it is for self use only and not for selling. :) I await more sites eagerly and thank you guys in advance again. :)

Latest posts

Back