Labware

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are some good (read: budget!) resources for purchasing labware? Burrette, beakers, and the like.

One problem is that the pricing structure varies VASTLY depending on who is buying. We (at a research institution) can get stuff from Fisher Scientific for a small fraction of the (inflated) sticker price. It makes it hard to say what is best for the average user.

@distancerunner you didn’t mention where you are. I can drive to American scientific And Surplus based in Chicago.
From a practical point of view, a burrette doesn’t handle/ clean as easily as easily as a syringe for doing a TA titration so I keep two on the shelf but never use them. This syringe is from the pharmacy (ask for a free one for giving kids meds).
A Pyrex beaker is needed if you put heat on the vessel. Again with titrations, , I do not heat so I wind up using a tall shape juice glass which comes from GoodWill.
Two place balances are important, I have a triple beam which is $79 at American, small digitals are $20.
Magnetic mixers are useful with a burrette but not needed unless I work with a probe with a long cord.
Graduated cylinders are harder to get but about $4 in plastic at American.
Reagents, 0.1 and 0.2 N NaOH are at the wine toys shop. If I have them shipped by the liter the freight is more than the chemical.
Test tubes are $.79, brushes, a wash bottle for distilled (everything is rinsed off in DW), a source for distilled water,
, , , , what else , , , Vinmetrica and Hacch meters are pricey, once every two years a used one comes up. One that surprised me is that I could special order a pH or mv probe at Home Depot and pick it up at the store without shipping.
41F163B6-91C0-4B8C-A902-1119B6A96615.jpeg
If you wish to do a food lab, a lot of what you use is kitchen gear. We just accurately measure everything.

Last edited:
@Rice_Guy I have the exact same pH meter. I use it testing wine/juice and soil in the garden. I love that meter! lol

To the original poster- I have ordered most of my "lab" equipment from Amazon. I also use syringes. I have two toddlers at home, so we get plenty syringes from the pharmacy :) . I also use those 4 oz mason jars for doing bench trials. They also work well for storing the jelly/jam we make!

Back