Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several bottles which are for a long time (years)
in my sub-basement below my house.
All treated with milk and upto now never had
issues.

Is the storing place humid ???
Humidity will loosen the labels.

Was the whole label smeared with milk or
just a part ??

Luc

We smeard the whole label, but yes, my cellar is humid during the summer :(
I had a feeling the humidity might cause a problem, that's why I was wondering if egg whites might be a little less susceptible to moisture. Either that or I'll have to look for a different glueing method...

I have had milk labels on some of my bottles for over 1 year. They actually seem to get a stronger bond the longer they sit. I tried to pull one off without soaking first, and it tore the paper.But once soaked, they fall right off. I have used skim, 1/2% and 2%, all seem to work good.

I use Avery labels

I use the 6-up label. The nice thing is they are self stick and they have nice die cut edges. The bad thing is they do not make just the right size for wine bottles. I spray a whole sheet of 6 libels before I peel them off and stick them on the bottle. If I do not spray them, they run after they have been in the refrigerator.

I use two Mac programs to make labels: PAGES which is about like MS Publisher and another program called Comic Life. Comic life is usually used to make cartoon comics but some of my most interesting labels are made from Comic life.

For folks who do not know this trick, you can capture any image on the web by finding it in the browser and then just dragging it onto the desk top. They are copyright so I use these only for my own personal use.

Thank you for the info re: labelling.

I am just about to produce my first batch of labels - for the first batch of Merlot. My daughter designed one and I purchased labels to print. Next time (when the labels are gone) I am going to try the milk and my own design. Thanks for the encouragement and the SOP! It's also time to bottle my next two batches of wine.

Latest posts

Back