Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking into printing my own labels and not finding too much in the way of templates that I liked, I found a company called Next Day Fliers that had a design and background that looked sort of old and adding my own text and colors was real easy. For 50 labels and a three day turnaround, it came to $45.00, shipping was about $20 until I told them it seemed kind of steep so they knocked it down to $17. and also put a rush on the order because I wanted to give a bottle to some good customers who were giving an end of the job party.

I am ordering again from them using the same basic template but instead of Chardonnay, I am leaving the line blank so I can write in the different types of wine I am bottling.

Attachments

• IMG_0910 (Edited) (2).JPG
    IMG_0910 (Edited) (2).JPG
    540.6 KB · Views: 79
The wife does a lot of scrap booking for a long time about 10 years ago she turned me onto www.stickeryou.com . They have templates for beer ,wine and mason jar labels . You upload your own photos and or clip art.

How easily do the avery labels come off? I've been using laser printer on standard printer paper and a glue stick. Cutting and gluing takes a bit more time than I'd prefer on the front end, but they look pretty good and come off super easy. Wet the label first, double rinse the inside, put the label back under the faucet and just rub it for a second or two with your palm and the label and all the glue come right off. I've tested some of the labels included with the cheap fontana kits and they're too much of a pain to remove.

Try soaking in hot water, grinding with a 3M scrubby , and then denatured alcohol. The denatured cuts through many dried adhesives very nicely without making a bigger mess.

I've don3 both on my everyday wines Avery is good enough. On my better wines I usually bought from George about a dollar per label, sometimes Noontime or Gino Pinto's .
I've always believed that of you know a wine that you made was good then a professional finish was required.Labels do that.

This is my second reply to this post. I've found that most labels either fall off when they get wet or you spend your entire day trying to scrape them off. Again, my go to labels come from sheetlabels.com. they are removable white polyester and totally waterproof. they peel right off - just stick a fingernail under a corner and presto! not only that nut if you happen to put them on wrong , you can peel them off and re-apply them. minimum order is 25 sheets (100 labels) for $19.99 which works out to $0.20 per label or get 100 sheets for $49.99 or $0.12 per label. well worth it!

2 purposes for labels: record pertinent info, or marketing.
i use avery easy peel 30 to a sheet for my regular wine. they are easy to peel for about 2 years, then glue hardens and i need hot water, inside bottle, to strip them off. normally no residual glue. 10 seconds a bottle.
for marketing labels i use the ones provided by upper end kits, but add batch number so i can track them for age and tweaks.
ric

Good idea....I put the date the wine was started and refer back to my notebook for any thing special done during the making. Do you use and wine making software to keep your notes? I just you spiral notebook from WMT.

I went with a company labels for my first batch forget the name niw
But they were vinyl and easy to remove. Since then I went with Microsoft program and print on plain copy paper. You can spray those sheets with an acrylic and even the inkjet images are waterproof. Glue stick is fine for these. A little labor but it is cheap and looks good.

I have started using Avery for my labels. I bought the removable labels on Amazon. They have many sizes to choose from. This is the label I will be using for my batch of Pinot Noir. It is the 3 x 4 label. Using Avery Design and Print website, you can set any picture as a background. Insert other pictures and text. You can also do some special effects with the text. When you are ready to print, the grid lines will go away. They are there so you can center everything on the label. The labels will just peel off when you are ready to remove them.

Attachments

• 2018 California Pinot Noir Label.JPG
    2018 California Pinot Noir Label.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 68
Fine wines had great labels I used them lot, I need to investigate Noontime next.

To remove labels from bottles, I use a $9 heat gun from Harbor Freight. Heat the label 10-15 secs on high and then scrape the label off with a razor blade scraper. Any leftover glue residue can be wiped off with a paper towel soaked in Ronsonol lighter fluid.
I have found that the labels from all "19 Crimes" wines will come off easily under warm running water.

Been using a great company for years for wine labels https://www.sheetlabels.com/markets/bottle-labels/wine-bottle-labels, started with blanks, turn this sideways and get a "full bleed" print https://www.sheetlabels.com/labels/SL571 or checkout their custom options, they seem to have the best pricing and the quality is awesome. The poly labels are great for waterproof, but you can also get the uncoated paper for super low cost. Their printing is good too, I now prefer their bopp label rolls for the larger batches of wine and beer, can use the same label size with multiple artworks to run a larger batch, these labels are the same as what you'd see in the store. Haven't tried their estate paper yet, not sure if I"ll have enough volume in the near future, but sounds pretty cool.

So I have extreme OCD when it comes to making anything presentable. Is there a trick, or jig I can build to put labels on straight?

So I have extreme OCD when it comes to making anything presentable. Is there a trick, or jig I can build to put labels on straight?

The higher quality Bordeaux bottles that taper down are a pain to put on without looking cockeyed.
Otherwise I use the glass seam on the bottle as my plumb line and start the label along that edge.

Latest posts

Back