Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that the vinyl labels from sheetlabels.com, item #RXW "Removable White Polyester Weatherproof (laser)" labels work very well. They are waterproof and are easily pealed off allowing them to easily be removed and/or re-positioned and come four to a sheet at 3.75"x4.75". I simply take them to Staples to be printed on their laser printer.

For online labels, stoney creek does make nice labels. Noontime Labels (my company) also has removable labels and might a be a little cheaper, and we have hundreds of designs to choose from.

There's a full spectrum of choices depending on what you want it to look like, how much work you want to put into it, and how frugal you want to be. Print it out on copy paper and use a glue stick, or as Boatboy24 said, bring your design to Staples, FedEx store etc to have them print. The benefit of online stores like mine or stoney creek is you get professional designs and professional printing on good materials; but that's definitely going to cost more than copy paper, scissors, and glue stick. :)

Onlinelabels.com has good products too, and also has removable adhesive options. Any address label is probably going to be very similar in weight and quality with permanent adhesive, so I would just go by price.

I purchase the waterproof peel off laser print labels from online labels dot com. I also use their Maestro Label Designer software (online) as well.

I go really simple. I print labels about 16 to a page using a simple word processor software on regular colored paper, cut the labels into strips, wrap them around the neck of the bottle, and then glue or tape the label to itself. This makes a neck band that tears right off when the wine is empty. I include a name for the wine, the type of wine, the date it was produced, temp it should be served, the alcohol content, and food pairing suggestions. I like this style because:
  • I don't like cleaning labels off bottles, I did it once to get the bottle; I don't need to create more work for myself
  • The neck bands make identification really easy in the wine racks. I don't have to pull bottles from the rack when looking for a favorite
  • These labels are cheap and easy
  • These labels don't cover up the beauty of the wine inside

Attachments

• neck labels.JPG
    neck labels.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 70
I've been using Avery Design & Print, a free program from (you guessed it!) Avery, since the mid-2000s. The latest incarnation is not the friendliest thing in the universe, but it's designed for label building and that gives it good marks with respect to other programs.

Pros: It's designed for label making -- adding graphics and text (including curved text) any place you want is simple. It duplicates the design across the page.

Cons: It's designed for use by people without PC skills, so it railroads you through the process. It's based completely around Avery products (which makes perfect sense) so if you want something else, it's not going to happen.

I've printed on 3 materials:

1) Avery labels. This is the easiest to use, but you're limited to a white background. [I printed 2 batches of labels with a lightly colored background -- burned through an entire ink cartridge, labels cost nearly as much as the wine!] Labels come off easily in a soaking.

2) Wine labels. These are pregummed colored sheets that you wet before applying. I'm disappointed in this product (bought blue and yellow). The yellow especially look poor on the bottle. On the plus side, the labels come off VERY easy.

3) Plain paper. Print on plain or colored paper and use a glue stick. I cut them with a photo cutter (designed for scrapbooking) and stick 'em on. The process is a bit more laborious, but I will probably go forward with this, as I can buy any color paper I want. Labels come off very easily.

BTW: After years of printing on an inkjet, I printed my last set on a colored laser printer. I won't go back to inkjet .....

On-Line labels.com have a generic for Avery labels in all sizes and shapes. Print my on with laser printer and design them myself. I use the 4 X 3.33 size and they look great. If I'm going to all the trouble to make a good wine, then I want my label to match. I use Print Artist software, but also On-Line labels.com will let you use their free soft ware to design labels for buying the blank labels from them.

On-Line labels.com have a generic for Avery labels in all sizes and shapes. Print my on with laser printer and design them myself. I use the 4 X 3.33 size and they look great. If I'm going to all the trouble to make a good wine, then I want my label to match. I use Print Artist software, but also On-Line labels.com will let you use their free soft ware to design labels for buying the blank labels from them.

I use online labels.com too. Interested to see examples of your work.

I buy only Winexpert kits from Labelpeelers and get the labels they have to go with them. They're from LD Carlson and the latest ones are vinyl and peel off easily and leave virtually no residue on the bottle. Makes life a lot easier. They cost $5.99/30 - about 20 cents a bottle.

Do you use an inkjet or laser to print these?

We use Vistaprint and love the results.

Attachments

• 20181111_204332.jpg
    20181111_204332.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 66
  • 20181111_203805.jpg
    20181111_203805.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
I printed on plain paper on a color laser printer. After using an inkjet for many years, it's amazing how crisp the result is with the laser printer. Yeah, I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

I'm using Elmer's Gluestick to put the labels on. They come off very easily.

After this current batch I may try Avery labels again. I bought the better quality ones and they stuck nicely but also came off with relatively little effort. Labels are less of a pain to apply than using a glue stick.

2018-11-19 20.15.24.jpg

[Clicking the thumbnail displays the full size picture]

Back