label your wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a big fan of breathable bungs. They let out CO2 and allow for expansion, but don't let air back in.

I don't have enough room under my desk for airlocks. I have the carboys on a dolly I can wheel in and out and the bungs allow for enough space above.

View attachment 101908
@vinny You have a link to those breathable bungs? I need some.

My LHBS carried them, but hasn't restocked, so I searched online. Amazon doesn't seem to have them, nor does the other stores I checked. I'm going to ask my LHBS to order half a dozen for me -- IIRC, they were about $5.50 each.

This is a Canadian link, but I wanted to show you the exact style I have. I have both types, with/without tails, and the blue top ones I have I have absolute confidence in. They are not all equal, I have seen some that I wouldn't trust. Make sure the top is firm and that it seals. Some just sit there and hope gravity will do the work.

https://ecom.bosagrape.com/silicone-bung-for-carboys-blue-.html

I bought 2 of these this week. Should be here tomorrow. I was wondering it these were the same as what everyone here had been talking about.
The first ones I bought were like the ones pictured in Bryan’s post, I probably have a half dozen or so of these. When I wanted to order additional ones, that style wasn’t available and the one I linked to was the “upgraded” option. I have a half dozen of those as well. They taper more than the previous ones, and actually fit better in one-gallon carboys and jugs. You can also separate the red and white pieces to clean them.

Like @Jovimaple I use them in bulk ageing. I do EM on most of my grape wines and use a fermonster for that, and use an airlock until the bubbling slows way down then I use a silicone breathable bung. I have a large one to go into the fermonster predrilled lid, but it allows a bit more pressure in the container than I like before releasing. I’ve since ordered solid lids and have drilled a smaller hole for either the airlock assembly or the breathable bung. Works very well.

Those silicone bungs might be the cats meow when I go off to warmer weather in the winter for a couple of months and leave my wines with no one to check on them. Not having to check the water in the airlock. My goal is to have five wines in bulk aging this winter so in March / April I can bottle ..... the silicone bungs would work!

Those silicone bungs might be the cats meow when I go off to warmer weather in the winter for a couple of months and leave my wines with no one to check on them. Not having to check the water in the airlock. My goal is to have five wines in bulk aging this winter so in March / April I can bottle ..... the silicone bungs would work!
Exactly why i want them. I go to Arizona in the winter for 5 months.

Exactly why i want them. I go to Arizona in the winter for 5 months.
Make sure the bungs are well seated at least a couple of weeks before you go. My newer ones seat just fine, but an older style may pop and require re-seating. Gotta be firm with them ....

In my picture the second one in from the left is a solid #7 bung with plastic wrap and an elastic for extra measure. I use the breathable bung right into secondary and after a few months when everything is degassed I often hit with K-meta and move to a solid bung as I don't rack again until I bottle, so I figure if i don't open it, no need to add k-meta. I might leave it 4-6 months without checking and feel confident in leaving it that long with the double seal.

Just another option depending on where you are in the aging process when you take off.

Yes to both silicon bungs for bulk aging and labeling everything. Expanding on the painter's tape theme (easy to apply and easier to remove), I buy a set of colored masking tape rolls for crafting - 8 different colors (and, of course, you can increase your # of themes by using more than one color on a bottle). When I bottle, I pick a unique color and put a piece of tape on top of each bottle and in my logbook on the right page. When I run out of colors, it is a flag to myself that I need to spend some time labeling.

There may have been a batch or two or more that never made it to labeling...

In my picture the second one in from the left is a solid #7 bung with plastic wrap and an elastic for extra measure.
If your temperature and air pressure are stable, a solid bung is fine. My cellar varies in a month's time, so I'd not use them. I also tried filling the carboy within an inch of the bung ... temperature went up a few degrees and wine went up through the bung.

Just Mother Natures way of reminding us who is in charge ...

The plastic wrap is surprisingly functional. Another member here mentioned it is all they use. The carboy pictured actually expanded and popped the bung, but the plastic wrap stops it form actually coming out. A little air from the carboy bulges out the plastic wrap and keeps the bung MOSTLY seated. When it cools down the bung is sucked back into place and the air never exchanges beyond the plastic.

Similar to using a balloon, I suppose.

Starting in 2000, narrow green painter's tape/Sharpie placed on the bench top in front of the carboy. Moved on to paint pens, using last year's queen color on the carboy proper. Moved back to painter's tape, the wide blue stuff and Sharpie or paint pen, still on the carboy. Sometimes it's a mix of both.

The longer we're at this, the more information we want on bulk aging. Two inch painter's tape no longer provides enough space to get all the info (see Billdean's post above) that we want. That necessitates using several strips of tape, some that can move between containers when racking.

As we move to larger containers (and less variety) it's getting easier. Stainless containers and barrels offer a lot of space for data.

The longer we're at this, the more information we want on bulk aging. Two inch painter's tape no longer provides enough space to get all the info (see Billdean's post above) that we want. That necessitates using several strips of tape, some that can move between containers when racking.
You might try the sheets Joni (@Jovimaple) uses, and put them on the carboy with painter's tape. I'm thinking about trying that with my labels.

Back