KV-1116 VS KV-1116 Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, the room temperature fermented KV1116 went all the way down to somewhere in between .989-990.. Easily the driest fermentation I have ever seen. The room temperature was around 69F when this was measured so the wine was likely either at 69 or a degree or two warmer.

The cold guy was at 55F and measured at 1.054 I added 7 grams of fermaid O. I definitely believe that the fermaid O helped the yeast ferment the warm guy that dry.

Last edited:
Morning of 9/8/13 Cold blood was at 53F gravity was 1.040 I added 7 grams of fermaid O. I should check it again tonight that way I do not miss my next mark.

Thanks, I am trying my best to make this experiment fair. Some things to consider that might introduce some varibles include the fact that the cold fermented one had a longer time to sit on the fruit prior to ferment and also during ferment. This might make it dificult to tell whether it was the yeast that will make the wine fruitier or the longer soak.

before he started his test we all, pretty much knew that a low temp was a slow ferment...
55 degrees was to be a very slow ferment...
68 degrees was to be a very moderate.
78 degrees wast to be a normal fast ferment.
so what is it your testing...

before he started his test we all, pretty much knew that a low temp was a slow ferment...
55 degrees was to be a very slow ferment...
68 degrees was to be a very moderate.
78 degrees wast to be a normal fast ferment.
so what is it your testing...

Good question, the point of this testing is to analyze the differences in the finished product of two nearly identical wines that were fermented at different temperatures. Ie, colour, aroma, taste and other differences that arise from being fermented at a different temperature.

I am predicting that the cold fermented one will be a lot fruitier in the smell and taste.

Racked the cold one, his gravity was at .998 I decided to take him out of the freezer to finish his business at room temp so my brother could ferment his ale at 68F.

I gather that you tend to favour cooler fermentations?

In the end I dont care if it ends up tasting like garbage. All part of the test.

Yes I do. I've done this test before ::. Looking at moving to temp controlled primary when we can afford it (need a bigger primary soon!). We make fruit and "other than standard" wines, so we want the fruitiness, flavors and stronger aromas that a cooler fermentation provides. The trick to it, learn the fruit you are using, the yeast and how low you can go before it's too slow (possible spoilage oxidation issues). pH and other factors can change the temperature that the yeast can handle. Tried a real cool ferment on cranberry a few years back. Yeast didn't start, hit it with a dose of 1118, heated it up a bit and hoped it would age well. Every bottle I've tried, is not there yet. LOL

For me now, unless it's an experiment (which we still do!), it can cost lots of $$$$$$.

Yes I do. I've done this test before ::. Looking at moving to temp controlled primary when we can afford it (need a bigger primary soon!). We make fruit and "other than standard" wines, so we want the fruitiness, flavors and stronger aromas that a cooler fermentation provides. The trick to it, learn the fruit you are using, the yeast and how low you can go before it's too slow (possible spoilage oxidation issues). pH and other factors can change the temperature that the yeast can handle. Tried a real cool ferment on cranberry a few years back. Yeast didn't start, hit it with a dose of 1118, heated it up a bit and hoped it would age well. Every bottle I've tried, is not there yet. LOL

For me now, unless it's an experiment (which we still do!), it can cost lots of $$$$$$.

Ahh understood, well hopefully before too long I will be able to confirm your results as another independent source. I would of preferred to have fermetened the cold blood at around 50F but it just was not wanting to behave for me thus it got fermented at 55F.

BTW, I should note that I took the cold blood out of the freezer at .998 so that it could finish up and so that my brother could use the freezer to ferment some Ale.

I am hoping to be able to cold crash these , rack, superklear and then bottle by this time next month.

Both the hot and cold are both dry at .990. I currently both have them in the deep freezer running at 32 degrees. Hopefully these guys should settle out soon.

Alright, just managed to get my dragons blood bottled. This project was a split project between me and a buddy whom this was his first time making any kind of wine, so I figured this would be a good first wine for him to help me make.

First, I would like to comment that both the hot and the cold dragons blood came out quite well. Both were backsweetened to the best of my abilities to 1.012 from .990.

Appearance:

- Cold: An interesting Rose ish colour. Not a light pink but certainly not red.
- Hot: Very similar to the cold guy; however, a subtle darker deeper colour.

Aroma:

-Cold: Light airy fruitiness with a touch of rose/floral perfumy smell to it
-Hot: Light Airy fruitiness with out much of a floral character to it

Taste:
-Cold: Lite berry fruitiness balanced with slight acidity as one would expect with dragons blood. However, this one has a fuller perhaps slightly floral character going on with it that the hot one lacks. It feels slightly more balanced and a little fuller.
-Hot: Taste that you would expect of dragons blood, light fruit balanced with acid.

Conclusion:

Both the hot and the cold dragons blood are very clean tasting. I believe this is possibly because of nutrient schedule and fermaid O additions. The over all result is similar However, I believe the cold batch is superior in subtle ways. ie slightly more body and more is going on in the flavour profile. I believe that like most fruit wines and mead cold fermentation yields a superior result in the taste and aroma categories while yielding slightly lighter colour.

PSS

The one I am drinking is the cold one is this picture.....

I have just finished fermenting a DB at room temp (about 68F), and I also noticed that it has a lighter color vs what I usually make under the brew belt (in the 80'sF). Strange that. However, it still smells quite fruity. It's clearing now, so I'll have a chance to give it a good taste in the next few weeks.

Thanks, Seth. These kinds of comparison studies are very helpful.

Wow that looks lovely Seth! Thanks for the info! Sounds nice with a floral aroma! I think I'll try that yeast in my next batch. Sorry if you already posted this info but around what temp was the cold ferment? 68F? I'll try to search back in the thread a bit! To bad I gave my yeast to hubby to try in his cider recipe I'll have to buy more.

I have just finished fermenting a DB at room temp (about 68F), and I also noticed that it has a lighter color vs what I usually make under the brew belt (in the 80'sF). Strange that. However, it still smells quite fruity. It's clearing now, so I'll have a chance to give it a good taste in the next few weeks.

Thanks, Seth. These kinds of comparison studies are very helpful.

My pleasure, I am personally willing to take a lighter colour for a fruitier aroma and taste. Hopefully, we can get some more people posting comparative studies to help broaden our knowledge base. Be sure to let us know how yours turns out.

Wow that looks lovely Seth! Thanks for the info! Sounds nice with a floral aroma! I think I'll try that yeast in my next batch. Sorry if you already posted this info but around what temp was the cold ferment? 68F? I'll try to search back in the thread a bit! To bad I gave my yeast to hubby to try in his cider recipe I'll have to buy more.

Thanks, I am really pleased with how these guys turned out. I really like the kv1-116(sp) yeast so I can vouch for it.

However, I would like to point out that while the aroma does have floral characteristics in it I do not mean to imply it is in your face like some of the meads I have aging.. But it is certainly there.

When I said I fermented cold I mean I started the ferment off at 50F but then moved it up to 55F so it would actually get started. I ensured that the fermentation stayed at 55F by keeping the must inside of a deep-freezer with a temperature controller probe insulated onto the side of the fermentation bucket. Cold fermentation with fruit wines and meads tend to result in a lighter colored yet fruitier end result.

seth8530 said:
Yeah, I am personally willing to take a lighter colour for a fruitier aroma and taste. Hopefully, we can get some more people posting comparative studies to help broaden our knowledge base. Be sure to let us know how yours turns out. Yea, I am really pleased with how these guys turned out. I really like the kv1-116(sp) yeast so I can vouch for it. However, I would like to point out that while the aroma does have floral characteristics in it I do not mean to imply it is in your face like some of the meads I have aging.. But it is certainly there. When I said I fermented cold I mean I started the ferment off at 50F but then moved it up to 55F so it would actually get started. I ensured that the fermentation stayed at 55F by keeping the must inside of a deep-freezer with a temperature controller probe insulated onto the side of the fermentation bucket. Cold fermentation with fruit wines and meads tend to result in a lighter colored yet fruitier end result.

Ok thanks for that clarification! Because that color is delightful! Of course it would have to be nick named something else as it's no longer the colour of blood! But I would love to try to aim for colour like that! Did you have the deep freezer on the warmest setting? I would like to try it. Mine is empty ATM and fits 2-6 gallon fermenting pails perfectly!

seth8530 said:
My pleasure, I am personally willing to take a lighter colour for a fruitier aroma and taste. Hopefully, we can get some more people posting comparative studies to help broaden our knowledge base.

I happen to have 71B-1122 on hand, has anyone tried it with similar results?

Latest posts

Back