KV-1116 VS KV-1116 Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Howdy all, I have just been itching to try out my nice deep freezer turned tempature controlled fermentation chamber so I decided to wip up a double batch of dragons blood to try it out.

I am splitting this batch into two batches. One will be fermented at 51 degrees, the other will be fermented at room tempature. This is the concept of kv-1116 vs KV-1116

12 gallons of volume

16 lbs of mixed berry mix

Pectic Enzyme

96 ozs of bottled squirt lemon juice

Inverted sugar syrup until 1.070 at 101 degrees F

Two packets of KV-1116 rehydrated in 15 grams of GoFerm

Fermaid O added per this theory.

Target YAN=270 mg/L

.3 grams fermaid O Yields 12 mg/L YAN

Assume the Dragons Blood starts out at 50 mg/L YAN

Therefore must add in 220 mg/L YAN

220/12= 18.33

18.33*.3= 5.5grams of fermaid O needed per liter. However, I will take the theory that fermaid O is used more efficently than DAP and only use 66% of that. This gives me 3.63 grams of fermaid O needed per liter.

12 gallons is roughly 45 liters. So I will end up using a total of 165 grams of fermaid O for 12 gallons of wine.

I will add half of the needed Fermaid O up front and then I will add the rest in a series of 4 additions. It is important to note that the values are halved because I am using 2 6 gallons Fermenters.

Addition 0 Addition 1 Addition 2 Addition 3 Addition 4

1.070 1.061 1.047 1.033 1.019

41 grams 7 grams 7 grams 7 grams 7 grams

Any questions, comments or snide remarks? I plan on pitching as soon as my temperature controlled batch hits 51 degrees F.

seth, i was going to mess with you and say the numbers were wrong, but I know that if i did you would work through the night recalculating...lol
will be interesting to see the difference temp makes on fermenting.

Actually, if you follow my steps their is a small error with my nutrient scheduling (; I made the schedule up assuming OG of 1.075 instead of 1.070. However, in a moment of superb lazyness I decided not to correct it or trouble myself further with it.

Yeast was pitched around 10 minutes ago after being aerated. The cold wine was at 55 degrees and falling the other one was room temp.

Temperature adjusted SG were 1.076

The hot one had a gravity this morning of 1.079 at an unknown temperature and was visibly fermenting.

The cold one had a gravity of 1.071 with no visible signs of fermentation.

Nearly 24 hours after pitching the cold batch has not yet moved. The hot batch is chugging on along down to 1.060.

Added 7 grams of nutrient to the hot batch.

Yep, that was what I was thinking. If this guy does not start within 36 more hours I will warm him up a bit until he starts rolling. I am not all that worried about it getting infected at that temperature so I am content letting it do its own thing for now.

Very good, Seth. I'm keeping an eye on this one. You are operating at the very bottom of the yeast's temp range, so you should expect it to be a slow motion ferment.

Oh, and I know it's probably a typo, my good man, but aren't you using the Lavin K1-V1116.

dave...dont you dare say something is wrong with his numbers..you know he will work a couple days figuring it out...
seth...I would have you in my corner any day....I may fire my accountant and hire you.....

Very good, Seth. I'm keeping an eye on this one. You are operating at the very bottom of the yeast's temp range, so you should expect it to be a slow motion ferment.

Oh, and I know it's probably a typo, my good man, but aren't you using the Lavin K1-V1116.

Yeah, the reason why I used the strain was because of the wide tempature rage it would tolerate. So, it should be interesting. The hot batch is like a raging bull.

Eh, not quite a typo. You are referring to the proper name of the yeast, but it is not un-common for it to be reffered to as kv-1116.

dave...dont you dare say something is wrong with his numbers..you know he will work a couple days figuring it out...
seth...I would have you in my corner any day....I may fire my accountant and hire you.....

Heh, thanks. But if I was your accountant we would both find our way on the unfriendly side of an IRS investigation lol.

Morning 2

The hot batch is rip rolling on by. The SG was 1.030 and went right past my second addition of nutrient and landed at the third. To make up for this I combined the additions together and added 14 grams of fermaid O. Only one addition remains and that is at 1.019

The Cold batch is just sitting their chill. I think I might of saw some initial signs of yeast colonization or it could of been fruit breaking down. I am not sure. However, I added around 48 ozes of the hot batch into the cold batch... So lets just let it try and not ferment after that one!

Soo, the hot fermentation went down to 1.020, I decided to go ahead and add in the remaining 7 grams of fermaid O it needed. The cold fermenting one is still holding around 1.70 ish but I think I am starting to see the initial signs of fermentation.

Hot one is doing its thing.. The cold one was raised to 55 degrees last night.. This morning it is showing more evidence of fermentation. Gravity still has not moved much

Hot one is doing its thing.. The cold one was raised to 55 degrees last night.. This morning it is showing more evidence of fermentation. Gravity still has not moved much

I am thinking you are testing the ragged edge of the yeast. 55F should give you some fermentation though. We dropped the temps in our production building when fermenting to get better results. When we move up in the world, we will move to temp controlled tanks. I have messed with lots of temps and a few yeasts in my time. Most won't handle under 60F very well.

According to this, 59F is the lowend....
http://winemakermag.com/component/com_yeasts/Itemid,165/view,chart/

I am pretty close to the low end of the yeast temp range.

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/K1V1116.asp

This link from lavlin claims the low end is 50 F. However, I can tell that the yeast is certainly moving at a molasses like pace even at 55F. I gather that you tend to favour cooler fermentations?

In the end I dont care if it ends up tasting like garbage. All part of the test.

That's my quandry over this test. I've always fermented my DB with a brew belt, achieving a temp around 78F as a result. The DB comes out nice that way. I like it, as does everyone else. All attempts, thus far, to improve on the original have met with demands for more of the original. My wife, Johnna, did like the one I made with more fruit steeped in it. I'll make that one again.

I'm very interested to see how the cool ferment turns out with the K1 yeast.

Latest posts

Back