Kumquat wine help please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iammeasmyself

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, so I found a recipe online for kumquat wine. It was the first one that popped up so I thought nothing of it. I have a kumquat tree in the back and been trying all sorts of ways to actually use the fruit.

The recipe I found calls for 1 gallon distilled water, six cups sugar and six cups kumquat sliced in half. That's it! This was in 2008 that she posted this so she is not responding to comments anymore.

Anyway, questions are... Is it possible to make citrus wine without adding yeast? I started her recipe on the 25th of February. No fizzing yet. Since then I've also read about pectic enzyme? Is this also necessary or can it be done without? Today some of the fruit started growing white stuff on it but from what I've read it may be Kham? It's only on a couple of the kumquats though.

Any help would be appreciated. Super new to this and realize this recipe seems to be the lazy person's recipe.

Oh. Sorry. More specific to your question. I would absolutely start with yeast rather than rely on natural flora. Beyond that, maybe some else will come along. Citrus wine isn’t really my thing.

Jbo

The first thing that comes to mind would be to dose it with kmeta (campden - 1 per gallon), and a teaspoon of pectic. Your yeast can come a day later, assuming that you have a hydrometer and have measured the initial Specific Gravity (SG) with it. Sorry if you know this already, not talking 'down'!

aint got a clue what kumquat is, that being said, i do skeeter pee/lemon wine' to get yeast started i'd start light on the citric on count of high citric acid makes starting fermenting a little ruff, i go light on citric till the ferment is winding down then add the rest of my citric, pectic enzyme will help break down your solids, but since you have a tree, freeze your kumquats that really helps break down your fruits, berries etc, giving more juice, and at least a cheap triple scale hydrometer for wine/beer SSG STARTING SPECIFIC GRAVITY , Amount of sugars in your juice/must which mandates your ABV% or alcohol content at end of ferment
, and a cheap ph meter and some solution in order to set your meter for ph of must, all can be got on ebay, if you live more modern, then you'll have shops to get your stuff, me every thing but my fruits and berries comes online,,,
Dawg

I made 3 gallons a year ago. Was a pain to start the fermentation required several yeast tries to get going. Pectic enzyme will be important to break down fruit and to get rid of the haze.
It’s a nice clear white wine but will need another 6-9 months aging to mellow. Rather strong alcohol still after 12 months. Some backsweetening was needed before bottling.
Hope this helps.
Joe

Thanks you all for your input. I'll just start over and use the enzyme and yeast. Wish it were as easy as the receipe I found.

The flavor kind of reminds me of a dandelion wine I made several years ago. That one took a full two years aging to mellow out. I’m hoping for the same result with kumquat wine. Kind of a green grass taste that’s hard to describe.
joe

Attachments

• 0972E1A2-ABFE-4B32-B730-A15F1BD75DF1.jpeg
    0972E1A2-ABFE-4B32-B730-A15F1BD75DF1.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back