Koolr cooling unit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Does anyone use these? I'm planning on installing it in a room under the stairs, I would guess around 200 cubic feet. The adjacent room it would be venting in doesn't get over 70f in the summer and its around 250 square feet or 1900 cubic feet. It's in the basement and has an awning window. The cheaper alternative I was thinking about is a probable AC. Would I just be better off using a portable AC and putting out a few bowls of water?
So a few questions.

-How much Heat does the koolr put out in relation to a portable AC?
- how much moisture will the koolr put out in the adjacent room in relation to the portable AC

I know everyone keep saying a portable AC is not suitable but what makes something like the koolr so special...from what I understand it's the same technology and process maybe just cooling at a slower rate.

That seems like an overpriced AC unit to me. I made a basement cellar under the steps as well and just used a $100 window AC unit that vents to the basement. I thought that condensation would be an issue but it seems to just evaporate in the pan before it spills out. I do hear a bit of splashing mid-summer when the fan turns on but no water actually spills out. Its been going strong with no problems for 3 years now so no regrets not going with something more pricy.

That seems like an overpriced AC unit to me. I made a basement cellar under the steps as well and just used a $100 window AC unit that vents to the basement. I thought that condensation would be an issue but it seems to just evaporate in the pan before it spills out. I do hear a bit of splashing mid-summer when the fan turns on but no water actually spills out. Its been going strong with no problems for 3 years now so no regrets not going with something more pricy.
It's an option of course, however I was planning on venting into the home gym downstairs which is around 250 square ft rather than the whole basement. I'm more concerned about the humidity it's spitting out into the room....realistically though it can only draw moisture from the space under the stairs which is small in comparison to the gym. Still undecided, I'm done building the space under the stairs and temps are nice and cool (about 59) right now while the rest of the basement is 68, so we will see how they are in the summer.

Don’t you already have a dehumidifier in the basement? If not then yes, it’s not producing more humidity just condensing it to a smaller space. My basement gets to the upper 70’s in the summer so that was unacceptable to me. I was a bit surprised actually when I started keeping track.

Latest posts

Back