Koch Crossflow membranefilter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul leslie

Junior
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Koch WF4 crossflow wine filter. Appears to be brand new other then a inch of dust on it. A true Barn Find. I checked it over and it appears to be complete with the exception of an operator's manual. Does anybody have any experience operating one of these? Thanks, Paul.

You should look closely for another name on the unit. The membrane system may be Koch, but the assembly, including the piping, pump, tank, and instrumentation control panel, is often designed by a third party.

You are correct, it also has Romicon and Abcor on the front. I searched those as well. Found lots of reviews but no documentation. I reached out to Koch membrane systems but have not heard back yet.

Does this look like the unit?

img_filter.jpg

I recently acquired a Koch WF4 crossflow wine filter. Appears to be brand new other then a inch of dust on it. A true Barn Find. I checked it over and it appears to be complete with the exception of an operator's manual. Does anybody have any experience operating one of these? Thanks, Paul.
I have a WF2/4 Romicon Filter that I have been successfully using for over twenty years. I still have the manual. Please send a message if you still need information. I need to buy two more cartridge filters. Does anyone know if they are still available?

Humm this is a 2018 post.. Paul hasn’t been here since then.

oh well
At Univ of Wisconsin Madison (Babcock Hall/ food science) and Univ of Illinois Champaign (Dairy Mfg Bld./ food science) we had Romicon equipment. The professors are probably still using them so a phone call would be worth the time.

The units come with one of several absolute cut off cartridges ex 100,000 molecular weight. Liquid as milk is pumped on one side of the membrane and a fraction filtered passes through the membrane ex. lactose or a protein hydrolysate, which is then collected on the other side. ,,, The membrane I used was polysulfone/ porous plastic. UF is in the same family as RO, which has tighter pores/ sized for removing salts, (reverse osmosis) and anyone who is running RO could get you going.

For most wine making they have no value. If you wished to remove acetic acid (or sucrose) you could depending on how tight the cartridge is. Another industry to look at is maple syrup. This time of year most big syrup producers will run a cartridge to concentrate the sap before heating on a pan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back