WineXpert Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes absolutely no sense. Are you emailing with Gail? She has responded to my previous emails, and I suspect she's an admin person who is retelling what she's told.

My take is that you're being told wrong. The amount of the packet is wrong for pure K-meta, and WE has included sorbate in every kit I'm familiar with for at least a decade. My advice is to put the packet in a drawer and go by the old standby, 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5 or 6 gallons
You were correct about it being wrong. I just got the right info from Gail. 1.75g sulfite send 1.75g sorbate for the 3 gallon kit of dessert wine

Interesting thread. I always wondered about how much Kmeta was really needed. I ferment in a 7 gallon carboy, then do all my transfers into CO2 purged carboys. So I'm thinking that bottling will be the only time my wine is introduced to oxygen after fermentation. Then I have to wonder if too much free SO2 will inhibit aging. I guess I should get a test kit. Any consensus as to the preferred test kit?

Interesting thread. I always wondered about how much Kmeta was really needed. I ferment in a 7 gallon carboy, then do all my transfers into CO2 purged carboys. So I'm thinking that bottling will be the only time my wine is introduced to oxygen after fermentation. Then I have to wonder if too much free SO2 will inhibit aging. I guess I should get a test kit. Any consensus as to the preferred test kit?
I went with the aeration type test kit. Its more time consuming but the probe types are very expensive

Lots of test have shown the ~50% of the free SO2 added initially gets sucked up (reacts with O2 in the wine ) immediately leaving the rest for long term aging. What's left protects the wine from oxidation and does not inhibit aging at all.

Lots of test have shown the ~50% of the free SO2 added initially gets sucked up (reacts with O2 in the wine ) immediately leaving the rest for long term aging. What's left protects the wine from oxidation and does not inhibit aging at all.
Well, that was my understanding. Then I came across this... How Sulfites Affect a Wine’s Chemistry | SevenFifty Daily
Interesting reading about sulfites affecting the aging of wine.

Well, that was my understanding. Then I came across this... How Sulfites Affect a Wine’s Chemistry | SevenFifty Daily
Interesting reading about sulfites affecting the aging of wine.
It can get interesting if you dig a little.
Sulfites destroy thiamin, which some yeasts need.
Lower pH wines need less sulfites.
Higher alcohol wines need less sulfites.
Sulfites interfere with color and tannin polymerization (binding) so it can potentially affect aging. Most of the polymerization happens during the first 6 months so frugal sulfiting during that time is a good idea.

they provide it because they don't know the users' talents or knowledge.

they also know what they're doing.

It can get interesting if you dig a little.
Sulfites destroy thiamin, which some yeasts need.
Lower pH wines need less sulfites.
Higher alcohol wines need less sulfites.
Sulfites interfere with color and tannin polymerization (binding) so it can potentially affect aging. Most of the polymerization happens during the first 6 months so frugal sulfiting during that time is a good idea.
Well, I'm just interested in a nice glass of wine. These WineXpert kits give just that. Surprisingly, however, the best glass I have ever poured was a sample taken immediately after fermentation was done and before any more sulfites were added. (WineXpert Australian Shiraz Reserve). I'm sure the kit instructions (for kmeta) take into account open air fermentation, racking, etc, in an oxygen rich environment. As mentioned earlier, I transfer to CO2 purged carboys. Hence, the desire for testing Free SO2. I trust ibglowin's response but don't like the idea of continually adding kmeta with each transfer (which he did NOT profess). And, I am getting conflicting info regarding excess free SO2 and how it slows down the aging process. So, what is the best SO2 situation? Back to the article...

Generally, I like this answer. And it fits my wine kit experience. However, with a reduced oxygen environment, I may be over sulfiting. With oxygenation contributing to the aging process, how do I determine the best amount of sulfites to add ?

Latest posts

Back