WineXpert Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just an FYI,
The classic kits contain 5.5 grams of kmeta in the packets. Thats almost an entire teaspoon. I assume that how they make it possible to rack and than bottle it.
I almost don't want to add more when I rack my kit. May just rack it and maybe in a few months than add more.

Last edited:
Most kits currently include sorbate and K-meta in the same package, and as you said, it's just one addition. Kit instructions are great for beginners who have no experienced help, to produce a good result on the first try. Once "experience" gets mixed in and the instructions are varied, certain things in the instructions no longer apply. This must be confusing!

Unless you are backsweetening the wine, skip that packet and add 1/4 K-meta as previously mentioned. I write the date on the packets and toss 'em in a drawer, to be used if I make a backsweetened wine. Most get tossed out a year later (I make 90% dry wines).

Most kits currently include sorbate and K-meta in the same package, and as you said, it's just one addition. Kit instructions are great for beginners who have no experienced help, to produce a good result on the first try. Once "experience" gets mixed in and the instructions are varied, certain things in the instructions no longer apply. This must be confusing!

Unless you are backsweetening the wine, skip that packet and add 1/4 K-meta as previously mentioned. I write the date on the packets and toss 'em in a drawer, to be used if I make a backsweetened wine. Most get tossed out a year later (I make 90% dry wines).
I emailed them to find out and was specifically told it was 5.5 grams of sulfites. In the future, ill probably do as you suggest. I already added the packet a little less than 1 month ago.

Hmmmm ... I'm surprised. What brand?

While that's a lot of K-meta for one addition, it's also well within the legal range in the USA. It does make sense for a kit, keeping it simple and ensuring a successful result.

Hmmmm ... I'm surprised. What brand?

While that's a lot of K-meta for one addition, it's also well within the legal range in the USA. It does make sense for a kit, keeping it simple and ensuring a successful result.
Its a wine expert classic kit. I also have a dessert wine kit going and there 3.5 grams in that.

So there's no sorbate in the kit? AFAIK WE includes a single packet containing mixed K-meta and sorbate. The answers you're getting from WE sound incorrect.
There are sorbates in the pack. I asked specifically if the amount she stated was just the sulfites or if it included the sorbate. She said just the sulfites. Got me.

There are sorbates in the pack. I asked specifically if the amount she stated was just the sulfites or if it included the sorbate. She said just the sulfites. Got me.
That makes absolutely no sense. Are you emailing with Gail? She has responded to my previous emails, and I suspect she's an admin person who is retelling what she's told.

My take is that you're being told wrong. The amount of the packet is wrong for pure K-meta, and WE has included sorbate in every kit I'm familiar with for at least a decade. My advice is to put the packet in a drawer and go by the old standby, 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5 or 6 gallons

That makes absolutely no sense. Are you emailing with Gail? She has responded to my previous emails, and I suspect she's an admin person who is retelling what she's told.

My take is that you're being told wrong. The amount of the packet is wrong for pure K-meta, and WE has included sorbate in every kit I'm familiar with for at least a decade. My advice is to put the packet in a drawer and go by the old standby, 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5 or 6 gallons
Yes, Gail was helping me. I've messaged back and forth with her since I started my endeavor. She's been very helpful and responsive.

I still have some of the old packages from 2017-2018-ish laying around and the metasulphite was 4 g and the sorbate was 5,5 g. Now combined into one single package of 9.5 g.

The change was done in 2019, so not a decade ago (are you getting old Bryan? ;-) )

I still have some of the old packages from 2017-2018-ish laying around and the metasulphite was 4 g and the sorbate was 5,5 g. Now combined into one single package of 9.5 g.

The change was done in 2019, so not a decade ago (are you getting old Bryan? ;-) )
Of course I'm getting older! [That's what happens when ya don't die!] ;)

I meant that kits have included sorbate in some form for at least a decade.

I checked my notes -- my first kit was WineArt in 1996, and it included "stabilizer". The next 2 kits were also WineArt, but my notes don't mention stabilizer, although this might be an omission in my notes. Once I went online with notes and stopped scribbling in a tiny notebook, my notes got more verbose.

My 2002 kit was from Wine-Kitz (I seem to recall they purchased WineArt), and it included sorbate. My guess is that since '96, at least some vendors included sorbate to avoid an artillery barrage of flying corks.

Does the addition need to increase since these kits are 6 gallon and not 5? Technically, my 6 gallon carboy is filled up to the neck so its even more than 6 gallons. Should I add more than 1/4 tsp in 3 months when I rack again?

Does the addition need to increase since these kits are 6 gallon and not 5? Technically, my 6 gallon carboy is filled up to the neck so its even more than 6 gallons. Should I add more than 1/4 tsp in 3 months when I rack again?
No, 1/4t is more than enough for 23 litres. Years ago, I used to use half as much meta as recomended-1//8t per 5 gal and never had a problem

Back