Other Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
Just wondering....how long can you age wine with using just the supplied sulfites in a kit? Or by just adding 1/4 tsp ONCE during 9 month bulk aging for 6 gallons?

Reason i ask is because i started making wine over a year ago and i have been adding 1/4 tsp of kmeta every 3 or 4 months during bulk aging (i add when i do a racking). After bottling around the 8 or 9 month range and letting the wine sit about an extra 3 or 4 months in the bottle (1 year total), i can still taste and smell a kmeta like flavor (at least i think it is).

Does anyone know how long that is supposed to linger until the flavor clears up? Or am i adding too much?

Thanks.

You are probably adding too much. At home I used to add a dose of sulfites at every other racking. Sometimes that would be 6 months or more before another dose. Never had a problem.

Ok....that is what i figured. I may only add once during bulk aging (on top of the supplied kit sulfites).

Would the wine still be okay with that amount of kmeta for 2-3 years?

Ok....that is what i figured. I may only add once during bulk aging (on top of the supplied kit sulfites).

Would the wine still be okay with that amount of kmeta for 2-3 years?

I'm also very infrequent when my wine is airlocked in carboys. I've tested So2 after 5 months and found little change. 2-3 years, I believe, would be pushing it too far while bulk aging, but not in a bottle.

Best bet is to test, and add only what you need, based on pH, while you bulk age, and again immediately prior to bottling. Barrels are a totally different animal, barrel aging, for me at least, gobbles so2 and I see it go from 50 to near zero in a month or so.

Thanks, Johnd. I won't be bulk aging 2-3 years. I will do 8 or 9 months and then bottle. I was referring to being in bottles 2-3 years with supplied sulfite from kit and my one addition of 1/4 tsp during bulk.....hoping that will be enough without any oxidation issues.

These will be premium kits, not the early drinking 10L or 12L kits.

Thanks, Johnd. I won't be bulk aging 2-3 years. I will do 8 or 9 months and then bottle. I was referring to being in bottles 2-3 years with supplied sulfite from kit and my one addition of 1/4 tsp during bulk.....hoping that will be enough without any oxidation issues.

These will be premium kits, not the early drinking 10L or 12L kits.

I've got premium kit bottles that old, they're just fine. I think if your pH is 3.6 and you bottle with 50 ppm sulfite, the wine will last just fine. I know I've seen other members cracking kit wines well over 5 years old.

Great to know! Thanks! I believe i was adding a tad too much. But, after in the glass 15-20 min the wine tastes great. I want to avoid that all together and not have that taste at all. I think cutting back some on kmeta will achieve this.

Where can i get something to test the sulfite levels?

Great to know! Thanks! I believe i was adding a tad too much. But, after in the glass 15-20 min the wine tastes great. I want to avoid that all together and not have that taste at all. I think cutting back some on kmeta will achieve this.

Where can i get something to test the sulfite levels?

I use the Vinmetrica rig for all of my testing, but there are some less costly titration rigs available.

If you have taste sensitivity to the sulfite, try pouring your wine through an aerator and into a decanter a little while before serving. I find that my kit wines benefit greatly from aerating, the nose comes out and they open up very noticeably. This may also help with your sulfite detection.

I will have to check it out and read up on them....definitely need it.

Great suggestion! I have a venturi that i forgot all about! Moving into a new house and things get lost and left in boxes haha. Thanks for all your help.....greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back