Kmeta amounts per liter or a percentage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franc1969

Reaction score
Well, back to dealing with wines. Had injuries last winter, waiting in carboys since January/February and got a rotator cuff tear and frozen shoulder after that. Any numbers on what amount or percentage to use for adding kmeta? I switched most, unfortunately not all, carboys to 12 liters. So I would prefer to deal in metric or percentages to simplify- that was the aim before but I have been able to do nothing. I do have a new-to-me Vinmetrica that I have not touched since last winter, so I suppose I can learn testing.
I am searching and there are too many results. Any help before I read them all? Wines have had nothing but airlock, some got a sprinkle if I could get to the wine room.

Hope you're feeling better now!

Regarding how much K-meta to add... it depends on whether you're making white/rose or red, and what the pH is. Did they have any Kmeta added when they first went into the carboy?

See this post for some links to tables that describe how much to add for reds/whites at various pH levels. If you have a Vinmetrica you should be able to estimate pH, right? And maybe test SO2 as well? I typically test SO2 levels in carboys every ~2 months (every month if wine is in a wood barrel) and add K-meta to a ppm target based on red vs white and pH level. Though I think some people do just fine by adding 1/4tsp K-meta every 3 months (maybe someone with more carboy experience than me can back this up?)

Last edited:
Well, back to dealing with wines. Had injuries last winter, waiting in carboys since January/February and got a rotator cuff tear and frozen shoulder after that. Any numbers on what amount or percentage to use for adding kmeta? I switched most, unfortunately not all, carboys to 12 liters. So I would prefer to deal in metric or percentages to simplify- that was the aim before but I have been able to do nothing. I do have a new-to-me Vinmetrica that I have not touched since last winter, so I suppose I can learn testing.
I am searching and there are too many results. Any help before I read them all? Wines have had nothing but airlock, some got a sprinkle if I could get to the wine room.
praying you recover fully,,,
Dawg

Hope you're feeling better now!

Regarding how much K-meta to add... it depends on whether you're making white/rose or red, and what the pH is. Did they have any Kmeta added when they first went into the carboy?

See this post for some links to tables that describe how much to add for reds/whites at various pH levels. If you have a Vinmetrica you should be able to estimate pH, right? And maybe test SO2 as well? I typically test SO2 levels in carboys every ~2 months (every month if wine is in a wood barrel) and add K-meta to a ppm target based on red vs white and pH level. Though I think some people do just fine by adding 1/4tsp K-meta every 3 months (maybe someone with more carboy experience than me can back this up?)
That is exactly what I needed! I was looking for a much older post. Thanks, and thanks @cmason1957

I should also add-I fermented and then walked away on much of this. There is a mix of what was in-process as far as reds and whites, some trying for MLF and some with wood cubes, etc. I do have pH and sulfur with the Vinmetrica although I did not use it yet, just got new solutions before I couldn't move. I have a Milwaukee something for pH.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I needed! I was looking for a much older post. Thanks, and thanks @cmason1957
This table (link - which I was trying to direct you to above) has more detail on exactly how much Kmeta to add based on type of wine and pH.
I also have a Milwaukee pH meter, it has been very reliable for me so far 👍

I make the assumption that there is zero free SO2 at each racking. ,,, the K meta addition works out to 0.20 gram per gallon,
I also assume 0 and add at the rate of 60-70 ppm. after the initial 3 month mark. At bottling I'll test the wine and add the appropriate amount based on the pH. I've always heard about 25% get bound immediately and found the sulfite levels in glass doesn't change that much in a year's time.

This table (link - which I was trying to direct you to above) has more detail on exactly how much Kmeta to add based on type of wine and pH.
I also have a Milwaukee pH meter, it has been very reliable for me so far 👍
Thank you for the link. Saved and printed it. Cheers..

Latest posts

Back