Kiwi Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeb_Neb

Junior
Reaction score
Kiwi's are on sale at the local market and I'm thinking about making a 1 gallon batch of wine. A lot of the recipes I have looked at say not to squeeze the fruit in the bag when in the primary. Dunk it, swirl it around, but don't squeeze the fruit in the bag. Does anybody know why you are not supposed to squeeze the kiwi's in the bag?

There may be concerns of excess sediment. You see the same recommendation with strawberry and blackberry wine, as two examples.

If you really want to squeeze the bag, a little clarification agent (or time) will clear the wine, in my experience.

Yes that sounds logical. I have never used kiwi's before so was kind of thinking there might be some off taste or something nefarious get into the wine if "squeezing the bag". To this point I have used the time method for dealing with sediment but just starting to experiment with clarifying agents. Thanks.

Squeezing will only release more stuff that will already diffuse to some point in the wine. Give it a good dose of pectin enzyme and squeeze the shit out of it. I’ve done that with multiple berry and fruit wines and all are clear as a blue sky. I use 1 heaped teaspoon per gallon with the enzyme I have. Ymmv.

Back