kiwi wine - freezing excess

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna L

Junior
Reaction score
Hello All

I'm new to the forum and fruit winemaking. I just transferred my 2 gallons of kiwi wine from primary to carboys. I had about 2 litres excess and have frozen it to use to top up carboys after next racking. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks for your advice,

Anna

In your case I am thinking no.What was the SG when you froze it? Dig it .Upper

Hi Upper

The SG was 1080 at beginning of primary ferment and 1010 when I siphoned it to carboys. I accidently stirred it up before siphoning so the yeast is pretty evenly distributed in carboys and in the 2 litres I've frozen.

Why 'no' in my case?

Anna

Anna, the two liters you have frozen are now cold and all alone.They are now different than your others.When you thaw them will they start fermintation?Do you dare add them to a clearing wine?These are all questions for the Pro,s.I am not only play one at my house...........Upper

Why not put the "extra" in a 1.5 liter bottle under airlock and let it finish fermenting. Then use it to top off.

Hi Tom

Still ok to do this now that all those poor little yeasts have spent a night in the freezer??

Anna

Cat

Did I tell you about the cat that got stuck in the frezzer???? Upper

Thanks Tom.

My kiwi carboys are clearing beautifully - nice wad of sediment and delightful, slightly cloudy, gently bubbling light lime green wine. Gee this is fun!

Anna

Anna,
Earlier this year I made a Strawberry / Kiwi Wine. HMmm.. Talk about flavor! Yes I added a f-pac and back sweeten. :ib

stuck ferment

Hello All

My 9L kiwi wine was looking delightfully clear and so have just racked from first secondary to second secondary (does that make sense?). Wine had been in 1st secondary for one month and I had to add approx 1L syrup (SG 1065) to make up volume.

Three days after racking there seems to be no fermentation going on. Thinking of adding a little energiser and maybe a little more yeast - good idea? Or not? What would be the risk of just leaving it alone a bit longer to see if it gets moving by itself?

Thanks and cheerio,

Anna

Three days after racking there seems to be no fermentation going on. Thinking of adding a little energiser and maybe a little more yeast - good idea? Or not? What would be the risk of just leaving it alone a bit longer to see if it gets moving by itself?

Thanks and cheerio,

Anna

what is the sg? if it's fermented out (lower than 1.005) than you might be close to done. let it sit for a few days, if it is and check the sg again. if it's the same, sweeten to taste, add sorbate and k meta. wait a month to 2 months. rack if needed and taste again. no harm in that :) and bottle or let it bulk age.

giving wine time in it's early state is only bad when it's stuck in the middle of fermentation. after that, aging in the carboy is good. actually a good 4~6 months is a great way to get age into the wine and protect it. just add some more meta after 3 months and then bottle before it gets over 6 and you should be fine.

Invest in a bunch of #2 drilled stoppers, they are CHEAP and a couple of airlocks. These will fit standard 750ml bottles.

Invest in a bunch of #2 drilled stoppers, they are CHEAP and a couple of airlocks. These will fit standard 750ml bottles.

never a bad idea to have alot of airlocks and containers. we have so many stoppers we've got a dedicaded 2'x3'x6" plastic bin for them and screw caps.

Many thanks Xanzer and MidWest

Got home from work and the beautiful green gold kiwi carboy was humming - sending up waves of fine bubbles. So lovely to watch.

I like the idea of applying a lot of patience. Also, thanks for ideas on stoppers and locks - you are right, they are cheap and will allow me to avoid panic diluting.

Transfered my new batch to secondary last night (10L rhubarb and raisin - dry sugar extraction of rhubarb was interesting). So much popping the house sounds like fire cracker night.

Cheers,

Anna

Latest posts

Back