RJ Spagnols Kiwi Melon problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgis

Junior
Reaction score
Just started this kit. Twelve hours later, no sign of fermentation.
I followed the day 1 instructions exactly.

How long before I see some action? (bubbles in airlock).

Patience
Patience
Patience
It will start just will do on its own time. Depending on the yeast it mya start early or later.

Just started this kit. Twelve hours later, no sign of fermentation.
I followed the day 1 instructions exactly.

How long before I see some action? (bubbles in airlock).

temperature?

cool - may be several days.
warm - a day or two.

btw - bubbles in the airlock mean absolutely nothing. in this case, depends a lot on size of primary and quality of seal as well as other factors.

Steve

If fermenting in a bucket it could be the seal.

If fermenting in a bucket leave the lid adjar. Reason is the yeasties like oxygen the first few day,.

PG, I have never made a kit but have made several batches fron juice that took quite a while to get going, one took 72 hrs!! before I seen any action. Tom said the word patience. It'll go.

Okay - I'll be more patient. 48 hours and still no bubbles.

It is 6 gallons in a 6 gallon plastic fermentor. There is still about two inches of air space. The seal is so tight, I'm not sure how to get it off later. :h If I press on the cover, the water in the airlock will move so I know it is tight.

The temperature is 66 degrees.

My two other 3 gallon experiments (made from scratch - peaches and bananas) are bubbling away. They started within hours of adding the yeast - that's why I was questioning the kit.

66F is a bit cool. Try to get it up to 72-74F.

You'll have to pop the lid and see if it's doing anything. Maybe also check the sg.

Steve

Thats very cold to get a wine started! Like cpfan said get it up to about 75* when pitching yeast and keep it there at least until you have fermentation started. Stick your ear in there and listen for a sizzling noise like a soda in a can as thats always the first sign of fermentation starting!

It started bubbling on day 3. The temperature was still around 66 degrees.
Fermenting pretty well now.

Good!
Now bring the bucket where its a little warmer and watch it take off!.

Excellent!!! Glad to hear it started. Yeah keep it warm. Because a yeast advertises it will ferment at a "low" temperature doesn't mean thats what it takes to get it going. A small seedling can never grow the way an established plant can.
Hope all continues well for ya...
Troy
:b

Id keep it where it is as i always ferment my fruit wines at cooler temps but warm them up right at the very end to make sure they finish. A cooler fermentation on whites and fruit wines will help keep more fruit flavor!

Latest posts

Back