WineXpert kits with f-packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this forum - so much information and so many years of experience! I have been making kit wines for three years now. I followed the instructions with no variation for the first 6 kits. Since then I have been venturing and not using every packet in the kit, developing my own timelines and bulk aging in glass and barrel. Comparing my first wines to those I make now - there is no comparison. I can distinctly taste differences in my first wines compared to current wines. My only other example of a white wine that employs an F-Pack is the Pacific Quartet I started in April 2018. I used the sorbate and I can taste it. And, I don't really like the wine although had high hopes. I know that Tim Vandergrift says you can't taste the sorbate given the quantities provided in the kit but I beg to differ. There's a clearly defined difference in how a wine tastes when the directions are followed explicitly and wines that employ time instead of chemicals. At the end of the day I want a wine I made that tastes as good or better than I can buy Total Wine or Vivino for $30-40 per bottle.

This fall I'm transitioning to fresh grapes.

You won't find any kit wine to rival a $30-40 bottle of wine thats for sure. Only way would be fresh grapes and then only the ultra high end grapes, not the generic stuff most everyone gets from Lodi, CA. You can get a $20 bottle of wine out of that IF your lucky and get good grapes and everything goes well.

As for sorbate. My first year I made a LOT of Mosti Mondial kits and a couple were white wines. The sorbate in those kits made the wine taste like bubble gum. The sorbate that came in RJS, WE and Cellar Craft did not make the wine taste like bubble gum (to me). I found the bubble gum taste faded after about a year after addition. YMMV.

You can always add the f-pack up front and ferment to dry. I usually add about 50% of the f-pack up front and then hold on to the rest and add it after adding the sorbate as I don't like wines sweet really, just a tad off dry on some whites. You could also ferment to dry and then play around with simple syrup and add a small amount when you open a bottle each time just before consuming. Lots of ways to avoid bottle bombs. You just need to find one that will work for you.

I know that Tim Vandergrift says you can't taste the sorbate given the quantities provided in the kit but I beg to differ. There's a clearly defined difference in how a wine tastes when the directions are followed explicitly and wines that employ time instead of chemicals. At the end of the day I want a wine I made that tastes as good or better than I can buy Total Wine or Vivino for $30-40 per bottle.

This fall I'm transitioning to fresh grapes.

Making the transition to fresh grapes doesn't really make that much of a difference. If you backsweeten a wine, you have to do something to keep fermentation from kicking back up. To do that, from what I know, there are three choices: 1) run the alcohol up high enough to guarantee no refermentation can happen; 2) sterile filtration (something most of us at home don't really have access to); 3) Add Potassium Sorbate, in the smallest amount possible.

I have heard from a few small boutique wineowners that they have had issues with refermentation after trying #2 I list there. They had commercial filtration companies come in and "sterile" filter, but then later had some sweet wines kick off refermenting. and #3, I know that the potassium sorbate packages always give the same dosage, but you can decrease the amount used based on abv (http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/sorbate.htm) and don't forget that potassium metabisulphite at the same time.

I am making my first kit that came with an f-pack, a WinExpert Traminer-Riesling.

Not much i can add that hasn't already been said, however ..................

since this if your first kit with an f-pack, just know that the size of the f-packs are not always that big. two kits i would recommend with small f-packs (maybe around 1/4 cup - didn't measure them), are winery series Riesling Gewürztraminer and winery series Winemaker’s Trio White. Both were/are excellent kits. I actually think the Riesling Gewürztraminer is one of the best whites i have made and i'm not a fan of off-dry wines.

cheers

I could see how sorbate would affect the flavor of a dry wine, since it has a slight sweet taste. But if you're adding an f pack anyway, it's it really even noticeable at that point?

It’s not rocket science, I pour the f-pack into a container add a little at a time, stir, taste, add more if needed. At a half cup at a time I doubt you’ll over shoot your taste just my .02 cents

Need some advice! Making my first WE gewurztraminer kit. When taking the cap of the F-Pack, I spilled about a third of it on the floor. (Talk about a horrible sticky mess!) :tz Never made this kit before. Anyone know how much this will affect the final taste? I'm not too concerned about the wine being a little less sweet. But I am concerned about the flavor being off.

Need some advice! Making my first WE gewurztraminer kit. When taking the cap of the F-Pack, I spilled about a third of it on the floor. (Talk about a horrible sticky mess!) :tz Never made this kit before. Anyone know how much this will affect the final taste? I'm not too concerned about the wine being a little less sweet. But I am concerned about the flavor being off.
It all depends on the F-pack. Some are just wine conditioner AKA sugar syrup. What does yours tastes like?

I would not worry about the flavor, as it should be fine, and honestly, you won't know the difference.

The one thing I'd be concerned about is sugar vs. acid. Kits designed for backsweetening have higher acid levels, so yours might be tart. You may want to add more sugar to balance that.

It all depends on the F-pack. Some are just wine conditioner AKA sugar syrup. What does yours tastes like?

I would not worry about the flavor, as it should be fine, and honestly, you won't know the difference.

The one thing I'd be concerned about is sugar vs. acid. Kits designed for backsweetening have higher acid levels, so yours might be tart. You may want to add more sugar to balance that.
I didn't taste the F-Pack and I haven't tasted the wine yet. I'll give it taste in a couple of weeks after another racking and go from there.

I only ever use half if none at all so it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back