Kits vs. Scratch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Type of wines do you make?

• I make only kit wines

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I make only scratch wines

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I make both types

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I haven't made any wines yet

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

smurfe

Reaction score
Thought I would post a poll to get an idea what types of wines everyone makes. Do we have more kit vintners or scratch vintners?

Smurfe :)

Caplan, do you make the same brand kits in the UK as we do in the US? What brands do you all make over there?

Smurfe,

Selection, Vintners Reserve, Beaverdale, Grande Maison and Heron Bay are a few brands I can get hold of quite easily.

Are there any brands I've not listed that you've used with success I should look into trying to find in the UK? I'm planning to get a good quality medium to full bodied red kit on the go in the New Year to age for while and fill up the space in my wine rack!:)

Caplan:

I like the Vineco brand kits, and I believe that they are available in the UK. Their 6 week kits Legacy, Vinterra or Ken Ridge Showcase are on a par with Winexpert's Selection kits, and the Heron Bay 16-litre kits.

Steve

All of the kits I have made are Wine Expert kits but the two Cellar Craft kits I have made. I have made 4 of the Wine Expert Vintners Reserve Kits and all of the rest have been WE Selection, Estate Series, or Crushendo's.

I buy all of my kits from one place (except the 2 CC kits) so I haven't really had any exposure to the other brands. Most retailers I have inquired into sell the Wine Expert kits fairly exclusively. My retailer is getting the Mosti Modiale full juice kits, I am sure I will try some of them.

Thanks Guys! I'll look into Vineco kit availabilty in the UK but also study the Winexpert kits (that I called 'selection' but you knew what I meant!) to see what suits my tastes. Further questions may follow!:D

I would like to try a few other brands to see the difference. My problem though is I feel guilty when I buy from any place than my regular supplier. Customer service that just blows me away.

I bought the 2 Cellar Craft kits from another dealer who was discontinuing them and got them for close to half price, plus, I was wanting to do a grape pack kit and these were priced less than a regular juice kit. I will say that the Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo has been the best wine I have made thus far. I have 6 bottles left and I wanted to enter this wine in a few competitions. Guess that isn't going to happen.

My dealer is getting the Mosti Mondiale kits in and I am anxious to try one of them. I have heard their Port kit is out of this world. I haven't heard a whole lot of great things about the Sterile Must's though. Any comments on this brand and the varieties they offer?

Latest posts

Back