Other Kits on Deck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I have 2 kits on deck and my last order was 3 kits. How many do y'all order and keep on deck?

Since I've only got the space and equipment for one at a time, I just have one that I'll purchase about a month before the current one is finished that way I have time to think about what I'll do with that one.

Thinking about getting some 3 gallon stuff so I can do dessert wines at the same time.

Why do you refer to 3 gallon stuff for dessert wine a dessert wine is just sweeter than most. I had a sautern many years ago in the region of france i about threw up it was sweeter than raw honey.

I have 2 kits on deck and my last order was 3 kits. How many do y'all order and keep on deck?

I buy them as the funds allow... typically one or two at a time. I've got 9 six gallon carboys (8 with wine in them, one free for transfer) and do 9-12 months in bulk before bottling. So, It works out that I'm rotating one batch into the bottle while pushing the next into the carboy.

Why do you refer to 3 gallon stuff for dessert wine a dessert wine is just sweeter than most. I had a sautern many years ago in the region of france i about threw up it was sweeter than raw honey.

Alan - I think he means "on deck" as in "waiting to go next" (i.e. Kits that he has in his possession but hasn't yet started).

Also, dessert wines are typically 3 gallon kits, while the typical varietals of wine kits (cabs, merlots, chards, etc.) are 6 gallon kits.

I know this may sound silly, but
I have an Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir 18l and
an Orchard Breezin Very Black Cherry (Black Cherry Pinot Noir).5.5l
Happy wife, happy life!

I have an RJS EP Aussie Pinot Noir in the bottle and aging. Let me know if you’re interested in a bottle swap.
I would love to but my Pinot Noir is in the box it came in, so it will be awhile before it's bottled and even longer to drink.

Do you live on a boat, what is this kit on a deck about, excuse my ignorance.
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but "on-deck" is most commonly associated with the baseball term, for the batter that is due to hit next. It originally started out on aircraft carriers, when a plane was brought to the flight deck (on-deck), prior to being launched. Baseball also borrowed the term "in-the-hole", for the player that is due to hit after the player that is on-deck.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but "on-deck" is most commonly associated with the baseball term, for the batter that is due to hit next. It originally started out on aircraft carriers, when a plane was brought to the flight deck (on-deck), prior to being launched. Baseball also borrowed the term "in-the-hole", for the player that is due to hit after the player that is on-deck.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't totally kidding, I believe Alan isn't from America and wouldn't get the baseball reference. It's a pretty common term to us from US and probably Canada. The term is very analogous to Incoming batsman in cricket.

Back