Kit Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used DAP with no I’ll effects but I’ve been told that’s junk food for yeast. If I have Fermax or Fermaid I’ll use that.

I’ve used DAP with no I’ll effects but I’ve been told that’s junk food for yeast. If I have Fermax or Fermaid I’ll use that.
I just watched a video on this and the high nitrogen from DAP in the initial phases can stress the yeast leading to off flavors. The reason fermaid or the like is preferred, is that they provide nutrient without over stimulating the yeast.

I usually sprinkle yeast on top of my must, but I think I will make a starter and do the stepped feeding just to be on the safe side.

I had family up this weekend and got high praise for my wines. They are more versed than I am, so I take it as quite the compliment. My hopes are that with the higher end kits I just got, I will be able to make something notably improved over the current batches.

I just watched a video on this and the high nitrogen from DAP in the initial phases can stress the yeast leading to off flavors. The reason fermaid or the like is preferred, is that they provide nutrient without over stimulating the yeast.
Regardless of whether I use DAP or Fermaid, I don't add it until the fermentation is about 30% complete, usually around SG 1.050 -1.060. I don't add it at the beginning.

Back