Kit Wine Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve really enjoyed this thread. I’m a relatively new vintner, exclusivity using kits. I’ve found it difficult to store wine for several years before sampling, but after reading the entries from the experienced wine makers, I’ve committed to some self discipline and plan to wait for at least 18 months on my big reds. I’ve adopted one of the recommendations of “experts” on this forum and I’m bulk storing 11 carboys now; it’s just too easy to open bottles before they’re ready. Another “trick” that I’ve adopted is to bottle several 375ml bottles as “tasters”. Great idea! Thanks to all that contribute to this forum, I’ve really learned a lot.
I use the ice wine bottles as they already take a standard cork.

They use an extreme negative pressure tank which lowers the boiling point to about 75 degrees f, not enough to cook or alter the must. It’s the very same reason water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes, they use far more pressure though.
Thanks for reassuring me, and thanks to bstnh1 for the link showing how it's done. It's a very long time since I made a kit wine. It must be a result of me getting ancient, I forget how much things have progressed. Still able to learn thank God.
Regards to all Den

I’ve committed to some self discipline and plan to wait for at least 18 months on my big reds. I’ve adopted one of the recommendations of “experts” on this forum and I’m bulk storing 11 carboys now;
I've only been at this for 3 years and a big part of maintaining the discipline is having enough drinkable wine on hand to allow you to exhibit the necessary restraint from robbing the cradle. Keeping things in carboys longer is a great deterrent to early consumption.

I’m on my eighth kit and have noticed the taste described here. I’ve been making beer and home grape wine for almost thirty years and am familiar with beer off flavors but this one is new.

All of my kits so far except one are from Wine Expert Eclipse. They all have that taste, even the Sauvignon Blanc. The SB had it during fermentation but it dropped off quickly. The rest are reds and have it after a year though it does seem to be diminishing. I’m targeting saving the reds for 3 years so I’m hoping they turn out worthwhile.

What’s interesting is that I have an RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan that has finished fermentation and it does not have that taste.

I just have to wonder what WE is doing to create this taste? The safe thing for me now is to buy RJS kits until my WE kits hit the 3-year mark in two years and see if theirs work.

I also find the RJS kits to be better than the WE Eclipse, though I still feel that it’s not quite like all grape wine. Something a bit off. Sometimes I forget about it but am reminded after having some decent commercial wine.

While I wish you the best of luck with those WE Eclipse kits over time, my early ones are 3.5yrs old at this point and the taste has not faded much. I use my 2016 Lodi Cab as top up wine.

I just had a bottle of CC carmenere from over 2 years ago...Simply stellar! It’s my favourite right now, it’s comparable in complexity and quality to a $38 CAD bottle of Malbec from Mendoza I had right before. The passport Malbec Syrah blend didn’t have skins but as a result it seems to have aged much quicker in about a year, it’s some amazing tasting wine. When I try a commercial bottle...which is rare; I rarely feel like I’m missing out from my homemade collection.

I haven’t tried a CC kit so wonder if they are better than WE and RJS. With labelpeelers and the unmentionable place down south having such good deals on WE and RJS I guess I just stuck with those.

Who has the best deal in CC?

I haven’t tried a CC kit so wonder if they are better than WE and RJS. With labelpeelers and the unmentionable place down south having such good deals on WE and RJS I guess I just stuck with those.

Who has the best deal in CC?

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if I can help much, I get most of mine through wine kits...which is a franchise. There are a bit cheaper prices that can be found, however winekitz is literally down the road from my office and saves me a ton of time...and diesel lol. I made one RJS international grand cru...it's very fruit forward right now I suspect needs alot more time than the 12L kit would suggest. I haven't ventured out into the high end of RJS though, mostly because feller craft has blown me away and I haven't tried all the high end kits yet.

I have had CC kits that wowed me and ones that didn’t. I feel the same about all the manufacturers. That being said the last MoreWine sale mentioned above I got $30 off which is probably the best deal I’ve seen them run.

I have had CC kits that wowed me and ones that didn’t. I feel the same about all the manufacturers. That being said the last MoreWine sale mentioned above I got $30 off which is probably the best deal I’ve seen them run.
Hmm so far I’ve tried the Cellar craft Carmenere, Rosso fortissimo, California Cab Sauv all of which have been excellent. I also have the Amarone and walla walla Washington aging and they both are tasting excellent so far. I haven’t had a bad one yet....accept the wife doesn’t like the rosso very much, it’s got a bit of funk to it. To me it tastes floral but it has been aging out into complexity over the past year.

Hmm so far I’ve tried the Cellar craft Carmenere, Rosso fortissimo, California Cab Sauv all of which have been excellent. I also have the Amarone and walla walla Washington aging and they both are tasting excellent so far. I haven’t had a bad one yet....accept the wife doesn’t like the rosso very much, it’s got a bit of funk to it. To me it tastes floral but it has been aging out into complexity over the past year.

The one that comes to mind immediately is the CC Australia Shiraz. That one was about as mundane as they get.

So you actually spotted the taste during active fermentation. Did you taste the wine base for the SB?

Yes, during fermentation but it’s gone now on the SB. I didn’t check prefermentation. I’ll be checking two reds next week that were bottled last year.

That seems like it’s in direct conflict to the extended maceration experiments that have not shown metallic taste.

I would say that's true, but I only have metallic tastes when I reds without any additions.
EM seems like the yeast might still have something to munch on aside from dead yeast cells?

I have read a lot of the past posts on kit taste. I have a EP super Tuscan and amarone at 18 months old and still have a strong sweet grapey flavor (though it is dry). I was going to put the wine back in carboy and add some finishing tannin and oak cubes to try and balance this overly fruity flavor. Any experience here or words of wisdom? The aroma has improved a lot but I am worried the flavor will never age out...

Latest posts

Back