Kit Wine Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will do the same. Can't help but think that the yeast health could have a roll to play in KT. Dried yeast doesn't generally enjoy sitting at room temperature. Many homebrewers have a similar "craft beer" taste due to fermentations that are less than ideal. Will rather spend the extra couple of $ for security. Especially on a white that I'd like to enjoy relatively fresh.

I've made a few white kits and my (limited) experience has been very mixed. Some of the lower end (10L) kits made good early drinking wine (Moscato & Gewurztraminer), but the kit taste was present for several months. The 2 Rieslings I've made definitely improved significantly at about 1 year. The presence of the kit taste has been highly variable in my batches. In an effort to reduce the KT I've gone to skipping the clearing agents, but then you have to carboy age longer to clear the wine and I still don't know if it makes a difference. I have substituted K1-V1116 for the EC-1118 to try to enhance the floral notes in some whites. Joeswine will often recommend adding a little lemon or grapefruit zest to the primary to brighten the wine.

Good luck.

I had great results from the Wild Grapes, Amazon bought Australian Chardonnay kit I made recently. I chose to back sweeten mine slightly with White Grape concentrate. Inexpensive , high quality, Canadian company kit! I am a skilled technical writer and can say the instructions are the best I have seen in any brand wine ingredient kit. They list several other varietals on Amazon which I do plan to try soon.

I've made a few white kits and my (limited) experience has been very mixed. Some of the lower end (10L) kits made good early drinking wine (Moscato & Gewurztraminer), but the kit taste was present for several months. The 2 Rieslings I've made definitely improved significantly at about 1 year. The presence of the kit taste has been highly variable in my batches. In an effort to reduce the KT I've gone to skipping the clearing agents, but then you have to carboy age longer to clear the wine and I still don't know if it makes a difference. I have substituted K1-V1116 for the EC-1118 to try to enhance the floral notes in some whites. Joeswine will often recommend adding a little lemon or grapefruit zest to the primary to brighten the wine.

Good luck.
Interesting, I've had nothing but good things to say about the vineco 10l kits. Their whites are spot on...although I didn't care for the Liebraumilch. The red are decent with some tannin and oak and they taste equivuilent to a $15 bottle CAD.

Made the Eclipse New Zealand Sauv Blanc and was already pretty good at 6 months. Having a bottle here and there to see how it progresses. I would say it compares to a $15 - $17 commercial wine, which for a white is pretty good.

I personally have noticed the "kit wine" taste in reds but doesn't seem to be a problem in whites. Think you should have a nice wine in no time.

Made the Eclipse New Zealand Sauv Blanc and was already pretty good at 6 months. Having a bottle here and there to see how it progresses. I would say it compares to a $15 - $17 commercial wine, which for a white is pretty good.

I personally have noticed the "kit wine" taste in reds but doesn't seem to be a problem in whites. Think you should have a nice wine in no time.
The kit tastes fades though in reds most of the time, the only difference i can really tell with commerical wines is that they are sometimes more tannic or structured. I've heard of several larger wineries dumping tannins into their wines though to cover up grapes that just were not that great or hide other flaws...who knows though. I find alot of kits lack tannin...likely so they can be consumed quicker.

By far I'm no expert and don't do kits but it appears whites don't seem to have the same issue as reds. My thought has always been the level of Malic Acid in red wine kits since they can't go through MLF. With the exception of a few, white wines do not go through MLF and the Malic level is acceptable.

By far I'm no expert and don't do kits but it appears whites don't seem to have the same issue as reds. My thought has always been the level of Malic Acid in red wine kits since they can't go through MLF. With the exception of a few, white wines do not go through MLF and the Malic level is acceptable.
I always thought they added lactic acid depending on the style of red wine. In either case MLF also creates histamine in the wine which otherwise causes red wine headaches no MLF=no wine headaches...just alcohol headaches if you drink too much and not enough water lol.

Last edited:
I always thought they added lactic acid depending on the style of red wine. In either case MLF also creates histamine in the wine which otherwise causes red wine headaches no MLF=no wine headaches...just alcohol headaches if you drink too much and not enough water lol.

Really? MLF creates histamines? I had not heard that before but it would explain why several family members can not drink commercial wines (1 glass = severe headache) but can drink my kit wines. Do you have a source for this information?

Really? MLF creates histamines? I had not heard that before but it would explain why several family members can not drink commercial wines (1 glass = severe headache) but can drink my kit wines. Do you have a source for this information?

Not sure how legimate this website is but it makes sense.

http://www.creativeconnoisseur.com/newsletter/files/d4e918486109666039a3550478d57592-124.html
At any rate when I'm camping or in general outside my allergies flare right up to the point of being unbearable with a glass of commercial red...not so with my wine I made. Maybe that's why most drink white in summer and red in winter lol.

My mom claims to get headaches from my wine...it's the power of the mind. I'm also 99% sure Sulphites are not a source of headaches. If that were true whites, which usually contain a bit more would also cause the same headache.

Last edited:
Vineco, Winexpert, Ken Ridge, Cheeky Monkey, Cellar Craft and a lot more made by the same outfit in St, Catharines, Ontario ..... Global Vintners.
Ken Ridge is the atmosphere line I believe when they changed their name. I didn't know winexpert was on all that lost aswell.

Vineco is the main company, it is owned by Andrew Peller Limited which owns many wineries / vineyards in Niagara Ontario and The Okanogan Valley in BC
http://www.andrewpeller.com/Wineco.php

Didn't know that, being the case though they should really be bringing in some kits from the Okanogan. Im usually there twice a year visiting my parents and I have not worked myself up to asking wineries to buy grapes, lol. Not to mention the massive amount of extra work involved when making from fresh grapes...it's not something that interests me at this point in my life. RJS even released a limited edition kit from that region...it's aging right now

Not to mention the massive amount of extra work involved when making from fresh grapes...it's not something that interests me at this point in my life.

It’s not really massive...and give it some time [emoji38]

Yeah but I would also need a destemmer and crusher and a wine press...probably $1000 right there. It's a retirement hobby lol.

Keep your eye on Craigslist or similar sites, you might be surprised. I bought a crusher/destemmer for $300 and a press for $90 last year. You can also easily get away with a “butt press” for just a few bucks so the crusher destemmer is higher priority although there are alternatives there as well.

3 years ago I planned to do just a few kits a year. Now I have ~500 bottles of wine in a temperature controlled basement cellar and all the bells and whistles to make wine. It creeps up on you!

Keep your eye on Craigslist or similar sites, you might be surprised. I bought a crusher/destemmer for $300 and a press for $90 last year. You can also easily get away with a “butt press” for just a few bucks so the crusher destemmer is higher priority although there are alternatives there as well.

3 years ago I planned to do just a few kits a year. Now I have ~500 bottles of wine in a temperature controlled basement cellar and all the bells and whistles to make wine. It creeps up on you!

I have over 500 bottles all from kits aswell so I would agree :)

Latest posts

Back