Other Kit wine taste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The f-pack generally contains flavorings and sometimes sugars. It does not contain sorbate or kmeta. Adding some or all to the primary boosts ABV and introduces the flavors to the must. People who like a dry wine will often put all of the f-pack in primary.

Well, You have to keep fermentation at bay somehow. Did your fpack have an ingredient list for you to know what it doesn't contain? Mine was a blank foil pouch WE Riesling

Wonder if anyone has tried adding sorbate to leftover fpack directly and tasted it

I did not add sorbate, but I have directly tasted an F-pack (on a WE Luna Bianca). It was overwhelmingly sweet and simultaneously quite tart. There really was no way I could have detected other, more subtle flavors!

Could you try to describe it, please??

Such a hard thing to nail down. I am so used to it that half the time I no longer catch it... until I have a bottle of commercially made wine to compare it to. I catch it mostly in the smell, slightly muted in the taste (decanting does help!). Words that come to mind: Synthetic, canned, yeast, stale, ??? I know it is subjective, I wish we could get a team of Master Sommeliers to give us a better list of adjectives.

It is possible the F-pack has some preservatives but in such small volumes it is not enough to cause problems. Keep in mind sorbate does not kill yeast, so especially if you add it part way through a healthy ferment it wouldn't cause issues.

I find it really hard to describe because it is an odd taste that doesn't taste like anything familiar. Terms that come to mind for me are "musty" and "raisin-y" (if that is a word) but neither of those truly describe it.

It is quite possible that other people taste other things in their kits but that is the thing that I get when drink kits. Compared to reductive-style grape wines the bright fruit flavors are missing from the kit wines.

Agree, agree, agree!

Smells more synthetic or medicinal to me... It does seem to fade with time

I have never aged beyond 2 years, Usually 1 year bulk and up to 1 year in bottle... is there noticeable benefits to 3 or more years of ageing?

Back