Other Kit wine labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you handle labels and your bottles from kit wine?

• Total voters

sremick

Reaction score
I'm conflicted about how to "label" my bottles made from kit wines. Removing all those commercial labels first time around was such a PITA, I'd rather reduce my work. But labeled bottles are so pretty. I'm curious what others do? Do the kit wine labels tend to come off easier than commercial bottles/labels?

Right now I'm leaning towards just using capsule color to keep track, as I don't intend on having so many different wines bottled at one time that this would be a problem (running out of colors).

Attachments

• 20220827_170059.jpg
    20220827_170059.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I use Avery labels & their website to create em. Download the PDF to flash drive & color laser print em at Kinkos ✌

I create tags using my color printer and the equivalent size of 10 business cards per page (because I really don't like removing labels of any kind.)
View attachment 92200
That's a smart idea, why didn't I think of that? (especially since in the photo I attached it shows I have the hand-written tag I used originally on the carboy hanging off one of the bottles)

Are those rubber bands holding them on? Or something else?

That's a smart idea, why didn't I think of that? (especially since in the photo I attached it shows I have the hand-written tag I used originally on the carboy hanging off one of the bottles)

Are those rubber bands holding them on? Or something else?
Yes. Rubber bands size #16 2-1/2" x 1/16" seems to be a good size. If you store for more than a few years, you might want a thicker band.
Another thing that I like is being able to tell easily what's in the bottle when it's stored in the wine rack. Here's a picture I just took with commercial wines on top and my tagged wines below:
1661657291208.jpeg

@sremick I use kit labels on kit wines. The Wine Expert Private Reserve kit labels peel right off as do the Cellar Craft Showcase (not sure if that brand is still in existence though). Even several years later they come off easily with no residue.
RJS En Primeur kits I’ve made require a bit of soaking in water to loosen up the adhesive but compared to most commercial labels I’ve encountered they are a breeze to clean.
As for Finer Wine kit labels I don’t know yet, have not tried to delabel them yet but they “seem” to be similar to the Wine Expert labels.
I do want to look into quality removable labels for non kit wines I make but for now I just use blue painters tape and a Sharpie.

Last edited:
Many different options depending on how much work you want to put into it and your cost threshold. Some great ideas above. Another option is The Everything Label from www.noontimelabels.com. It's removable and reusable and permanent, and washable and erasable. It's specifically designed for home winemakers and brewers; like you said...once you put that work into getting those commercial labels off, it's nice to have something decorative but also won't cause you more problems. Links below

YouTube video- How The Everything Label works
Noontime Labels website

I use neatolabels.com printer labels and print my custom designs onto them with my inkjet printer. The labels come off real easy.

I printed on paper and used a glue stick, but found the labels were not very durable, although get 'em wet, wait a minute, and the label comes right off. The bad side to this is get the label wet and it comes off.

I was using a waterproof Avery label that peeled off cleanly with no residue (and could be repositioned), but they doubled the price, so I switched to a version made by OnlineLabels.com. These labels come off easily if soaked for 5 minutes in hot tap water, normally with no residue, and are 30% of the cost of Avery.

Avery used to provide a Windows desktop application for making labels -- I dl'd the last version and prefer it to the web-based version they now support. I like Avery's products (desktop + web) as I create one label and it replicates it across the sheet, depending on the template chosen. Graphics program may be easier to use, but replicating doesn't work smoothly.

Latest posts

Back