Kit wine has leaked a little in Retail box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
My father-in-law purchased a Cellar Class Showcase Old Vine Zinfandel (from Amazon) for me for Father's Day. It arrived this afternoon. However, I notice at some point it leaked a little. Maybe a couple of tablespoons worth, out from under the yellow cap. I have emailed VineCo, to see what they think.

There is no evidence of juice in the box the kit was shipped in. It doesn't appear to be leaking anymore.

Do you think it is okay to use? Is a little leakage normal?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm just a little concerned since it is a premium kit.

Thank you!

Matt

I called Amazon this evening and they are sending out a replacement. Unfortunately, the estimated delivery date isn't until Aug...

They are not having me send back the original kit. As such, I'm thinking about trying to make the kit and see what happens. If it starts going south, I'm only out some time.

Now, if only my Star San would get here!

You may be okay if the kit only leaked a bit, and didn’t introduce any oxygen. Your nose will be the tell all. From what I’ve read... never done a kit wine... the juice should have plenty enough acidity to keep anything harmful from reproducing. If it smells off throw it out, if not add some k meta and get to pitching some yeast for some free wine 🤙🏻

I’m like some others. If I see or suspect anything wrong with what I paid for, I get it replaced. I’ve gotten some kits where the boxes were damaged by someone mishandling them while packing. These internet businesses know damage can occur during shipping. They accept that possibility so hold them accountable for the damage.
This is especially true for Amazon where I’m paying for Prime. Late or damaged shipments; they get a call from me to make things right.

I had a few kits arrive in the same condition over the years. I went ahead and made them with no ill effects. I looked at it as a bonus, I got 2 kits for the price of one..

A technical answer, ,,, the liquid inside is a concentrated sugar solution which creates high osmotic pressure where microorganisms will not live. In essence the pouch is similar to the old fashioned jam with a layer of wax which grandma on the farm made. There isn’t much that can grow as long as the sugars remain concentrated. The function of the bag barrier is to prevent dilution as being in a high humidity tropical area where hygroscopic sugar will pull humidity (water) in. Oxidation is not a major concern and the contents is likely in a positive oxidation potential. (alcohol requires a reductive environment)

Water will dilute the sugars and allow a variety of organisms to grow. The type of organisms which will grow in concentrated sugar are called psychrophyles and fall into the mold and yeast families. We don’t know of pychrophyles which produce toxins that make you sick but we do know of psychrophyles which will produce off flavors.

A food plant would toss the bag/ contents which might mean a local farmer gets to feed it to his hogs.

A non technical answer, ,,, mom on the farm would take jam which has leaked a bit around the edge and some mold grew, wipe the mold off with a clean damp rag and serve it to her family. Concentrated sugars are extremely stable and not a risk with the technology used 100 years ago.

Water will dilute the sugars and allow a variety of organisms to grow. The type of organisms which will grow in concentrated sugar are called psychrophyles and fall into the mold and yeast families. We don’t know of pychrophyles which produce toxins that make you sick but we do know of psychrophyles which will produce off flavors.

Osmophiles?

Finally had a chance to snap some pics. I'm be getting things ready and hope to get this started in the next couple of days. Star San should be here tomorrow and need to run out and get a couple of gallons of water.

I figure I better get it started sooner than later. Just in case there the cap has an issue.

Matt

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200628_184438.jpg
    IMG_20200628_184438.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
I have had several leakers over the years, and while most of them were replaced, I couldn't tell the difference between the leakers and the replacement in the end. You'll be fine! On the downside, winexpert refused to replace the last one that I reported.

Latest posts

Back