Kit says check sg but no way to adjust

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kaitala, I applaud you for doing your homework, and for being prepared for problems before they occur. You can see there are lots of options should it happen, but it is very, very unlikely that your kit will have a low initial SG if you follow the instructions. If it does, or if you have any other problems, contact the vendor, the manufacturer, and this forum for help before proceeding.

My advice to you, and all beginners, is to follow kit instructions as close to the letter as you are able, until you know why each step is performed, what each additive's purpose is, what the consequences will be for changing any of it, and until you are sure enough about the changes you make that you are willing to remove any obligation of the vendor or manufacturer for refunding or replacing your purchase. They are invested in giving you a positive experience. They want you to buy more of their kits... many more. We also want you to have a positive experience.

Keep us posted on how it goes, once you start. Good luck.

Just a note - those are stabilizing agents that are specifically used to stop fermentation and to prevent yeast from replicating.
This is half correct. Sorbate & sulfite do not stop fermentation. They do prevent a renewed fermentation, but the wine must be stable.

but it is very, very unlikely that your kit will have a low initial SG if you follow the instructions. If it does, or if you have any other problems, contact the vendor, the manufacturer, and this forum for help before proceeding.

Very true. I had no problems at all with my first 4 kits. The 5th one was different and working with the vendor and the company I received a replacement kit today.

Kaitala, the two smart things you did that I didn't do was to join this forum and ask the question before you started the kit. You should have good wine is several weeks. Enjoy your wine!

Back