Kit recommendations for Mateus Rose wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realised, wouldn't it be easier to simply stop fermenting once it reaches a specific gravity?

At the moment, we're talking about fermenting until dryness, then back-sweetening. My Rose wine is currently at 1.028 gravity. Instead of fermenting until dryness around 0.995 and back-sweetening until around 1.012, why don't I just check the gravity each day then once it's down to 1.012 then add the stabiliser and proceed to the racking / bottling stage?

Update - I've just done a gravity reading right now and it's 1.010. I also bough some Mateus wine which is what I'm basing this off and did a gravity ready which was 1.000.

So as soon as my batch reaches 1.000 I can stop and continue to the racking?

Last edited:
Even if you could stop the fermentation right where it is in the commercial bottle that you have, your result might not be to your liking. I can almost guarantee you that your acid level isn't the same as that commercial bottle and the level of sugar required for a balanced wine will be different. Bench testing how much sugar your wine will take is the only way to decide.

Latest posts

Back