Other Kit problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redshoe11

Junior
Reaction score
I bought a kit 2 yrs ago ,life happened, never got to make it...I ran across it yesterday and the juice concentrate bag is expanded and tight! Has it gone bad? Is there anyway to salvage it? HELP! I DONT WANT TO PITCH IT OUT!

I bought a kit 2 yrs ago ,life happened, never got to make it...I ran across it yesterday and the juice concentrate bag is expanded and tight! Has it gone bad? Is there anyway to salvage it? HELP! I DONT WANT TO PITCH IT OUT!

I did a similar thing awhile back - I did not add any water and just pitched the yeast ( cheap experiment ) and it started and then I added high proof everclear to it once it was completed. It was similar to a sherry.

But make sure you bench test it first prior to using all the everclear - check your hydrometer readings prior to pitching the yeast - I believe I ended around 20% ABV

It was decent - But I was not going to win any awards with it -
I hope that helps ??

After reviewing my initial suggestion - I know my kit was definitely outdated - but I do not recall it being pressurized - which could lead into trouble

Last edited:

When you say "expanded and tight," do you mean that there is gas in the bag as well the liquid?

After reviewing my initial suggestion - I know my kit was definitely outdated - but I do not recall it being pressurized - which could lead into trouble

I will add this to my first post -

Redshoe - if you have not ditched this kit, you can try to salvage it. Just hold the bag over your primary bucket and puncture it with a clean knife - the juice will flow out without any "explosion". If the juice smells and tastes ok, you can continue to make the wine. If not, throw it out as suggested.
I have had a couple of kits do this and they turned out fine. Somehow, fermentation has likely begun in the bag - perhaps a latent yeast that has just waited for the right conditions. In my case I added the kit yeast and it, as far as I know, overpowered the original yeast and completed the process.
You have nothing to lose by trying this - good luck.

Latest posts

Back