RJ Spagnols Kit OG reading database?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineJoe

Reaction score
Is there a spreadsheet/list/database of the anticipated original SG's of the RJSpagnols kits? It would be good to know if my OG reading is the same as the expected... but the instructions just give you a range, which is pretty darn broad and aimed at covering all the expected OGs of the given brand. Obviously, if you got all the juice out of the bag, and filled to 23L accurately, you should hit the correct gravity. But it'd be nice to confirm.

I looked on RJS's site and didn't see anything.

I have never seen anything like this for any brand.

Steve

What kits is this as I know all the Winery Series I have made always fall in the 1.115 area after about 24 hours of being in on the skins.

My reading of the En Primeur NZ Sauvignon Blanc is what prompted the question. My initial reading was 1.100, which seems pretty high for a white, even a NZ white. Checked it a couple of times after some further vigorous stirring, just to be confident the juice/concentrate and water all were well mixed.

Sure, that could be right -- 14% ABV is not unheard of for a NZ Sauv. But it is unusually high. The kit instructions just give that full 1.085-1.110 range which doesn't help at all.

Maybe add a little more water. This way youll have some for top off later. That IMO is a little too high for a white for me. Id thin her down a little.

Thanks for the tips/advice. I think you're right, gotta bring that gravity down with a little more dilution.

Latest posts

Back