Kit not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsey

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a white wine kit that is very slow to clear. I added the chitosan and kieselsol , racked and waited a couple of weeks , raked and added 4 ounces of conditioner and 4 ounces of glycerine. I racked it into a clean carbouy 2 weeks ago and it is still cloudy. Please help with any suggestions. I do not have an electric wine filter.

Sg was .097 . It was degassed and cleared up nicely. It was after I added the conditioner and glycerine that it became cloudy.

Sg was .097
Do you mean 0.997?

"wine conditioner" typically contains glycerin, so it may be that you doubled it by adding glycerin. What does it taste like? BTW, what brand is the kit and which variety did you make?

It's likely your wine is fine. Paul's (@sour_grapes) point is (IMO) your best solution -- ignore the wine for 3 months to see what it does. Winemaking is an exercise in patience.

OTOH, kit vendors promote the idea that you can make a really good wine in a month. Actually, the vendors are correct -- you can make a really good wine in a month; the trick is that it's not ready to drink in a month. Wines need aging to reach their full potential.

Do you mean 0.997?

"wine conditioner" typically contains glycerin, so it may be that you doubled it by adding glycerin. What does it taste like? BTW, what brand is the kit and which variety did you make?

It's likely your wine is fine. Paul's (@sour_grapes) point is (IMO) your best solution -- ignore the wine for 3 months to see what it does. Winemaking is an exercise in patience.

OTOH, kit vendors promote the idea that you can make a really good wine in a month. Actually, the vendors are correct -- you can make a really good wine in a month; the trick is that it's not ready to drink in a month. Wines need aging to reach their full potential.
Yes 0.997 Brand is Prestige, Thanks for the advice , I will be patient.

Latest posts

Back