Kit K met and vit. C shelf life

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horkalugi

Global Paradigm Advisor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a shelf life to K-met/Vit. C packs that come with most wine kits? Reason is, I opened a pack for my wine and the crystals were yellow not the usual white. When mix with 1/4 cup of water, showed a tinge of yellow also. The pack was a few years (4-5) old but I used it anyways. Usually the stuff mixes clear.

4-5 years is pretty old for just about anything. I would imagine that storage conditions would have a big play in how much time chemicals could last also. I dont have any real answer for you here but I have seen the yellowish K-meta at many LHBS's and have used them also since the whole shelf was filled with it. K-meta always seems to be more yellow to me then Na-meta though.

Horkalugi:

Which kits are you talking about? I have never seen Vit C (aka ascorbic acid) in a kit.

I agree with Wade 4-5 years is a LONG Time, and storage conditions will be important. I would be more concerned with the quality of the juice/concentrate. Also, I'm sure that the yeast will be expired.

I have never made a kit over about 2.5 years old, so have no experience with the quality of additives that old. But the juice/conc was tinged in brown.

Steve

Horkalugi:

Which kits are you talking about? I have never seen Vit C (aka ascorbic acid) in a kit.

I agree with Wade 4-5 years is a LONG Time, and storage conditions will be important. I would be more concerned with the quality of the juice/concentrate. Also, I'm sure that the yeast will be expired.

I have never made a kit over about 2.5 years old, so have no experience with the quality of additives that old. But the juice/conc was tinged in brown.

Steve

The costco kits all come with it and I'm pretty sure the Cellar Craft Lodi old vine Zinf. did as well. The pack itself was LDPE plastic and has since been change to the same packaging as most yeasts come in. Juice looked unaffected by time, but we'll see soon. I figure I'd push the envelope and report on my success or lack there of.

The costco kits all come with it and I'm pretty sure the Cellar Craft Lodi old vine Zinf. did as well. The pack itself was LDPE plastic and has since been change to the same packaging as most yeasts come in. Juice looked unaffected by time, but we'll see soon. I figure I'd push the envelope and report on my success or lack there of.
It's quite a while since I made a Costco kit, and not since their products changed in Dec 2004 (according to my notes).

Good luck with that kit.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have regularly seen a slight tint when mixing K-meta with a bit of water.

Steve

Horkalugi
When did you buy this kit from costco? I have made 3 kits from there in 2009 and all of them were fine, the kits I made were a cab sav and merlot, and Barolo and Amerone, they were the vino europa double plus.

Fuzz

Horkalugi
When did you buy this kit from costco? I have made 3 kits from there in 2009 and all of them were fine, the kits I made were a cab sav and merlot, and Barolo and Amerone, they were the vino europa double plus.

Fuzz

The kit the k-met/vit.c pack came from was 4-5 years old. As for my history with the costco kits, I've yet to make a bad batch. We will have the costco wine roadshow in Calgary in 2 weeks and I'm thinking of getting some of the Barolo and Amerone. How did it turn out for you?

Horkalugi
The barolo did not taste as good as I wanted it to, it is a little thin not much body to it, and the amerone is still in the carboy havent gotten around to bottleing it yet, the cab sav is the best but all in all I find that costco wines are to thin. I dont think I will buy them any more I have switched to rj spagnols, and find that these kits turn into some fantastic wine.

Fuzz:

Thanks for the input. You're not alone thinking the costco wine is thin. I'd be interested in what RJ Spanols kits you like best.

Fuzz:

Thanks for the input. You're not alone thinking the costco wine is thin. I'd be interested in what RJ Spanols kits you like best.

Horkalugi
My favorite is the cru select calirfornia pinot noir Iam currently bulk ageing a cellar classic valpolicella in the winnery seris havent tasted it yet but iam sure it will taste great I have a grand cru international california syrah in the primary now so I will try to keep you posted on how they turn out.

cheers
fuzz

Latest posts

Back