Wine Kitz Kit fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I started a Pinot Noir 28 day kit from Vino on May 24. The wine is fermenting. But it is now almost 3 1/2 months fermenting. The last hydrometer reading I took on May 24 was 1.050. I just took another one today and it was definitely below 1.000. However the wine keeps fermenting, albeit very slowly. it takes a few minutes for the air lock a few minutes or more to bubble but it will not stop after 3 months. the final step in this kit is to add potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfate but the directions clearly state not to add those until fermentation is definitely stopped. I tasted the wine today and so far i think it tastes pretty good. But it won;t stop fermenting. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Iceman

Its done. What you are seeing is the wine gassing. Is this still in the primary? I'm betting you wine was done a while ago. This is why you need to keep up on the hydrometer readings.
If so rack and then follow the directions from that point

It has actually been in the secondary glass carboy for almost the entire time. Should I continue on with the final steps?

Yes, as Tom said, it was likely finished long time ago.

I am surprised it even is still bubbling after such length of time

Always go by what the SG reading says. SG is the only reliable way to determine at what stage fermentation really is.

Its done. What you are seeing is the wine gassing. Is this still in the primary? I'm betting you wine was done a while ago. This is why you need to keep up on the hydrometer readings.
If so rack and then follow the directions from that point

So what you are saying is that once the SG stabilizes for a period of time (days, weeks??) it's done, and no amount of time is going to make the SG drop more? bk

well if its around 1.00 or lower yes. Sometimes you may have a stuck fermentation lets say around 1.020-1.040 thats a different story.

Some people say that if the SG has not changed for 2 days in a row, fermentation has stopped. IMO three days in a row a better gauge, not two. Especially if I am fermenting at a temperature below 70 degrees F., which I seldom do at that low a temp.

As Tom says, fermentation has stopped, but that doesn't mean it is not stuck. The proof of a fully completed fermentation is if the final SG is in the range called for in the instructions.

Latest posts

Back