Kit deliveries during winter months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received my 2019 RJS Restricted Quantity Australia's Chardonnay Semillon fashioned after outlaw Ned Kelly delivered today - it was leaking. This is consistent with winter kit deliveries for me with over half being delivered damaged and leaking.

I didn't have a free fermentor but I did have a kit started on 1/30/2019 (fermented dry to .0988) waiting to move to secondary. Without thinking and before transferring to a carboy, I opened the K-meta, grabbed my drill with paddle stirring wand attached and pulled the trigger. Within a few seconds I knew I had made a mistake - I had a foaming mess all over the floor!!

Am I the only one with winter delivery blues?

I got everything cleaned up and mixed the new kit. It's pulling an OG of 1.088 at a sultry 45 degrees. Maybe it will be warmed by morning so I can pitch the D-47. Kit came with 60gm of french oak chips that I was instructed to add to primary. Gonna produce a golden wine.

I am in a cold climate. I can’t say I’ve had any issues with kits freezing or leaking in the winter. I try to be strategic about ordering though if I can time it for when I’ll be around for delivery. This becomes impossible with pre-orders though. Are your juice bags actually freezing solid?

I'm in Michigan, Use Label Peelers in Ohio, and regularly order Winexpert Kits during the winter months. Never has a problem. Always come Fed Ex. I do however, have them delivered to my place of work so they're not sitting on a porch all day.

I have received two kits that arrived leaking. Both came from the same dealer and were shipped UPS. The packing was nothing more than a box just a little bigger than the kit box but no damage to the box was evident. They did replace the kit immediately. I too have received shipments when the temp was in the teens or single digits, and the wine turned out excellent. Best to call your dealer and let them know of the damage.

Latest posts

Back