Kit came leaky...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitala

Reaction score
My California zinfandel kit came and was leaky. Odd thing is, it hasn't leaked any more since arrival. I havent opened the box, and they're sending another kit.

If I open it, and it got leaked *on* or only lost a little bit, I'm thinking of using it. It may fail if it was the leaky thing, but then again, people stomped grapes with their dirty feet and kept wine in totally unsanitary conditions for hundreds of years, so why not give it a go?

Anyway, since this is a mess anyway, I've seen recipes for blood orange sangria using zin, and sauces with blood orange zinfandel reduction. I have blood orange juice concentrate, as I was thinking about trying that as a country wine.

If I add the BO to the zin juice I can salvage, both kits would be for 6 gallons of wine. How much blood orange should I add? I prefer wines a bit sweeter.

My California zinfandel kit came and was leaky. Odd thing is, it hasn't leaked any more since arrival. I havent opened the box, and they're sending another kit.

If I open it, and it got leaked *on* or only lost a little bit, I'm thinking of using it. It may fail if it was the leaky thing, but then again, people stomped grapes with their dirty feet and kept wine in totally unsanitary conditions for hundreds of years, so why not give it a go?

Anyway, since this is a mess anyway, I've seen recipes for blood orange sangria using zin, and sauces with blood orange zinfandel reduction. I have blood orange juice concentrate, as I was thinking about trying that as a country wine.

If I add the BO to the zin juice I can salvage, both kits would be for 6 gallons of wine. How much blood orange should I add? I prefer wines a bit sweeter.
sweeter,,, you just got my undivided attention,,, lol
you've got nothing to lose by trying to ferment your kit out but your time and a little sugar, now that being said I've never made a kit nor any grape wines i do country wines, fruits and berries, and all sweet,
Dawg

sweeter,,, you just got my undivided attention,,, lol
you've got nothing to lose by trying to ferment your kit out but your time and a little sugar, now that being said I've never made a kit nor any grape wines i do country wines, fruits and berries, and all sweet,
Dawg

Did we just become best friends????

(Tried to find a stepbrothers meme but it wouldnt load)

Did we just become best friends????

(Tried to find a stepbrothers meme but it wouldnt load)
welcome my friend, yep they ain't a ton of us that go sweet, @robert81650 is another one of us, but most every one on here share info freely, so we all have at least that in common,,, honored to know you,,,
Dawg

So I did it. Dumped the concentrate, poured the blood orange to a count of 13, one of my favorite numbers, my usual 7 didnt seem enough, topped with water, added 1 of the three oak packs that came with it and the ec-118 that was included.

Did test SG and it was HIGH, 1.175. Oh well, we got what we got.

This is fun. Cant wait to see how wrong it goes or how good it is. dessert wine?

Did test SG and it was HIGH, 1.175. Oh well, we got what we got.
If 1.175 is correct, that IS very high. If it ferments to 18 or 20% ABV, there will still be lots of sugar left (1.030-1.050). If the fermentation doesn’t start, ask for help. That’s a very high concentration of sugar, but if anything can ferment it, EC-1118 would be the one.

If 1.175 is correct, that IS very high. If it ferments to 18 or 20% ABV, there will still be lots of sugar left (1.030-1.050). If the fermentation doesn’t start, ask for help. That’s a very high concentration of sugar, but if anything can ferment it, EC-1118 would be the one.
yup. it order ferment out and still be a sweet wine, heck KCCam we have another sweet tooth vintner,, yeeha , another sweet tooth,,,
Dawg

i keep only 2 types of yeast, EC-1118 & K1V-1116 , both work horses. my finial SG come bottling time is 1.040 ,,, question is your concentrate a singe fruit/berry concentrate and if so you wouldn't
happen to have there web address?
Dawg

I would give it a try since you're getting a replacement. My thought would be to ferment the blood orange and the kit separately and then blend together when finished so you can do some trials to taste different proportions of them together before you blend.

Heather, you're back. Hope the timing works out to see you on Saturday.

Well, it's starting to bubble already so I think the yeast triumphed over the sugar... lol.

I will keep you posted. I also could have read the hygrometer completely wrong or temps should have had me adjust for something. I'm a noob.

i keep only 2 types of yeast, EC-1118 & K1V-1116 , both work horses. my finial SG come bottling time is 1.040 ,,, question is your concentrate a singe fruit/berry concentrate and if so you wouldn't
happen to have there web address?
Dawg

It's just Vintners best concentrate. Spec sheet says apple, pear and orange concentrate with natural blood orange flavoring. Not pure concentrate, sorry.

It's just Vintners best concentrate. Spec sheet says apple, pear and orange concentrate with natural blood orange flavoring. Not pure concentrate, sorry.
oh no, kits are that way, i have never made a kit nor a grape wine, i do only sweet country wines most from scratch, remember one thing you only have to please yourself, when it comes to YOUR wine,,,, every one is different, that's life, we just share knowledge to keep our craft alive,,,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back