Kinds of Beer for Summer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a WE Baron's Mexican Cerveza ready to rack to a secondary which is a great beer for summer.....don't forget the limes!! This is an awesome no-boil kit and a great value.

I will be brewing a Maple Porter in the morning which is a Brewer's Best Robust Porter and I will add 32 of grade B maple syrup to the secondary.

I also have 2 other kits I have in the cue and they are clone kits developed and put together by a husband and wife team in western CT. I will be brewing an "Ayinger Oktober Fest Marzen" and "Chimay Grande Réserve". German and Belgian beers ROCK!!!!

My newest venture here at Valley Brew is setting up a 4 soda keg system to force carbonate and serve my beers and Vinoka Kits. Used kegs are in route to the house with rebuild kits and I also be installing .5 micron carbonation stones for quick carbonation.

I have two batches fermenting right now. One is an English Pale Ale, and the
other is an Amber Cerveza (both Brewer's Best kits bought from George).

Just stopped by George's store this afternoon. Picked up a Russian Imperial
Stout kit. I figure it will be perfectly aged by the time it starts getting cooler
here in Dallas. Not exactly a great summer brew, but that's what the Amber
Cerveza is for :)

Masta,

sounds like you are into beer pretty well. Those all sound great-wish I had some. That carbonation setup sound sweet! Let me know how it works out when you get things going.

Chad,

I have been thinking of trying the Pale Ale. I did make a batch of the Cerveza. Been in the bottle almost two weeks. I tried another bottle last night and it's getting fairly carbonated-a little too sweet yet, but the hops are stating to come through. I'm going to start a batch of Canadian High Test tomorrow.

Anybody else have their favorites going?

appleman said:
Chad,

I have been thinking of trying the Pale Ale. I did make a batch of the
Cerveza. Been in the bottle almost two weeks. I tried another bottle last
night and it's getting fairly carbonated-a little too sweet yet, but the hops
are stating to come through. I'm going to start a batch of Canadian High
Test tomorrow.

I hope mine turns out ok. Learned a lot from my first batch (the Eng. Pale
Ale), so hopefully the Cerveza is even better. Of course, I haven't had the
ability to taste either yet
smiley19.gif

I have the American Style Micro Pale Ale kit in my kitchen, too. That will
be next weekend
smiley4.gif

I plan to take some photos and post my progress as I recondition my kegs and build my kegerator setup. Still have not decided which way I will go...fridge or freezer for keeping the kegs cold. I know I want to purchase all stainless faucets and shanks for dispensing my Valley Brews!
smiley2.gif

I do know it has to be ready with 4 selections to choose from before our annual tasting party this fall.

masta said:
I plan to take some photos and post my progress as I
recondition my kegs and build my kegerator setup. Still have not decided
which way I will go...fridge or freezer for keeping the kegs cold. I know I
want to purchase all stainless faucets and shanks for dispensing my
Valley Brews!
smiley2.gif

I do know it has to be ready with 4 selections to choose from before
our annual tasting party this fall.

I really would like a kegerator.....

I was really close to getting the wife to approve one, then I found the joy
of homebrewing. So my spending money got diverted to a kit from
George. Oh well, very much worth it
smiley32.gif

We are drinking a Cerveza (Makes Corona taste kind of skunky) and have a Canadian Gold Ale in the carboy. I hope to start our 2nd Cerveza today. Summer... it's for beer!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

What?,a Polish WINE Princess drinking BEER???? You may have to change to a German Beer Frauline for the summer.
smiley36.gif

I'mwriting a Cerveza while Idrink this post- er, I mean I'm posting a beer while drinking this Cervezza- ah shoot. This beer is pretty good!

Yes, the PWP loves her beer! If I had to choose, for the rest of my life, beer or wine, the beer would win.

*It's a hot, humid day in August. You're out mowing what seems like 2 acres of grass with an old push mower.
smiley19.gif
You figure you've gotten about 1/2 done and realize, It's break time! You go into the cool, dark house, pull the cork on a bottle of wine, pour half of it down your throat, burp loudly and say, "Dang! Now that's good!"*
smiley5.gif

See? Gotta have beer and wine. Although, I am currently drinking a glass of iced tea. Don't want to lose the momentum!

Summer is made for a DBF! (Deutsch Bier Frau)

Just got back from a little pic-a-nick. I brought some of the Cerveza over to try on some others. They all drank it rather than the "other stuff". Probably the best complement came from my nephew. He says it is really good. He usually only makes beer from scratch with hops and mash. He even helps out at The Lake Placid Brewery here in town, and says mine is as good as most of theirs they make. He always was my favorite nephew.

Hope you didn't tell him how easy it was to make! There is nothing better than to get great reviews on your beer or wines that you made.
smiley2.gif

Just made my yeast starter for the "Ayinger Oktober Fest Marzen" that I will be brewing up in the morning. I also had to kick down the temp in the wine cellar so I can ferment this at larger temp ~50-51 degrees and should take about 4 weeks to complete.

I like a dark beer that is bitter but yet refreshing. Something like a ziegbock. What do you suggest that would be a equally?

Angell Wine said:
I like a dark beer that is bitter but yet refreshing.
Something like a ziegbock. What do you suggest that would be a equally?[/
QUOTE]

Haven't tried it myself, but this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetBB.asp?PartNumber=11021Edited by: Chad

Great Choice Chad that was my selection also but I have not tried theziegenbock (brewed in Texas for Texans) or made this kit.

I'm glad to see some beer brewers here.

So far this year i've Bottled a Few Batches of "BrewHouse" Kits. A Pilsner, American Premium Lager, India Pale Ale. These are very nice and Big Kits, they only take 8 liters (2gals) of water.

I've also bottled a "Barons"Canadian High Test, and have in Carboy's a "Coopers" Pilsner and a "Brewers Spring" Canadian Light.

Waiting to Fire Up! are 3 other "Brewers Spring" Kits.

One Note i'd like to make is i always use "Star San" now for Sanitizing.

masta said:
I plan to take some photos and post my progress as I recondition my kegs and build my kegerator setup. Still have not decided which way I will go...fridge or freezer for keeping the kegs cold. I know I want to purchase all stainless faucets and shanks for dispensing my Valley Brews!
smiley2.gif
Masta

This web site may be of some help to Ya! As you Re-condition yer KEGS! It has lots of Pictures!!!
smiley36.gif

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/kegging/index.php

Hey Leaky,

How's the Canadian High Test? Hoping it is similar to a Moldson's or something similar. What would you compare it to?

I'm glad to see there are some beer brewers out there. I was beginning to wonder if any existed anymore. I don't care what some people say- summer needs some beer!
smiley32.gif

HEY APPLEMAN,

IN REPLY TO CANADIAN HIGH TEST. THE STARTING SG. 1.057 SO IT WAS RIGHT UP THERE WITHIN THE RANGE.

I CAN'T SAY RIGHT NOW HOW IT IS AS I ONLY BOTTLED IT MAY 18TH. BUT IT WAS ONE OF THE CLOUDIEST KIT'S I'VE DONE. AND THE SEDIMENT WASN'T COMPACTED LIKE THE OTHER KITS. IT DID CLEAR UP IN THE BOTTLES, BUT LOOSES IT'S FIZZ QUITE QUICK, BUT AGAIN IT'S REALLY TO SOON TO JUDGE.

MY COOPERS PILSNER KIT IS VERY CLEAR, LIKE I CAN SEE FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER OF THE CARBOY, BUT IT STILL KEEPS BUBBLING. THE GRAVITY IS WAY DOWN TO SG. 1.006 AND HAS BEEN THERE FER A WEEK NOW. I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT? IT HAS BEEN IN THE SECONDARY FOR 18 DAZS NOW!!

ANYWAYS "APPLEMAN" IN ANSWER TO YER POST!!! I CAN'T REALLY SAY NOW!! BUT WILL KEEP YA INFORMED LATER! SPECIALLY IF IT TASTE ANY GOOD!
smiley36.gif

I too am glad to see some postings from some beer brewers. I'm a total novice to both wine and beer but have been making mostly wine. Wife convinced me to try some beer and the Baron's Amber Ale turned out quite nice. It's been in the bottle about three weeks now. i too notice the head doesn't hang but the taste is great. I have the Mexican beer going now, actually ready to bottle.

Hey what do you guys use to sterilize your beer equipment. I've been using C brite but it's pricey.

DrtDoctor

Latest posts

Back