- Oct 4, 2018
- Reaction score
I make small batches (5-10 gallons) of pretty decent wine wine from my home grown Marquette grapes. As usual, after the crush I added Potassium Metabisulfite according to the dosage on the container of 1/4 tsp per 5 pounds. My grapes were pretty clean this year. However, we had a very wet and cloudy summer in upstate NY and despite vine pruning and leaf pulling my average brix was only 20 and pH 3.2 so I'll be addressing this. I had to harvest as the yellow jackets were begining to wreak havoc! Anyway, the next day when I checked the must, it was already fermenting. I still need to make some adjustments before pitching the yeast to get the SG closer to 1.095. Should I give it another dosage of Potassium Metabisulfite and let it sit a day to kill the wild yeast before I move forward?