Kiesesol didn't fully dissolve

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
I'm making a Chardonnay. I'm near the end and tranferred the wine from a carboy into my primary, then added the kiesesol and clarifier.

I stirred the kiesesol well, as directed over three minutes and vigorously. However, when I transferred it back into the carboy (it says to give it another five days), I found undissolved kiesesol in the bottom of the primary. I put the undisolved crystals into the cayboy. Will the kiesesol dissolve completely over the next five days? Should I stirr it over these next five days to aid in the dissolving?

MoneyGuy:

Kieselsol is usually a liquid. Are you asking about something else? If not how do you know that the undissolved crystals are kieselsol?

BTW, which Chardopnnay are you making?

Steve

It's a Harvest Selection Chardonnay. The kiesesol was in crystal form for sure. I just grabbed the package from the trash and found a tiny piece of crystal in the bag.

Was it Super Kleer or Kitosol 40?

Those are liquid - what is the name on the package that you used?

It's a Harvest Selection Chardonnay. The kiesesol was in crystal form for sure. I just grabbed the package from the trash and found a tiny piece of crystal in the bag.

Sorry MoneyGuy, I have never seen a Harvest Selection kit, and couldn't find a link to it in Yahoo Search.

Steve

Was it Super Kleer or Kitosol 40?

Those are liquid - what is the name on the package that you used?

The package doesn't say. It just says Pack D Kiesesol and has some instructions printed below. No types mentioned. I'm going to work on the assumption that it will dissolve over the next couple of days, with some stirring.

The only thing i can think of - is if it is something like Super Kleer and the shelf life has expired - when that stuff gets old - it starts getting real think - like caulk almost - maybe it was old and no good when you added it to your wine.

I would rack off of that problem agent and if your wine is not clearing then either just give it more time or get a package of SuperKleer.

I've added the clarifier and the wine is actually nice and clear. I'd be comfy bottling is in several days the way it is, but can also get some good kielesol and add it first.

Latest posts

Back