Kieselsol & Chitosan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebusify

Reaction score
So what do you do after 48 hours when Kieselsol and Chitosan hasn't cleared the wine? I added Kieselsol and waited 5 minutes and then added the Chitosan and 48 hours later it's still cloudy. Any suggestions besides filtering? Just don't want to filter but I could if I had to. Thoughts?

So what do you do after 48 hours when Kieselsol and Chitosan hasn't cleared the wine? I added Kieselsol and waited 5 minutes and then added the Chitosan and 48 hours later it's still cloudy. Any suggestions besides filtering? Just don't want to filter but I could if I had to. Thoughts?
What type of wine are you making and what additives have been used to date?

One thing that can prevent the solids from dropping out of solution is the presence of CO2 gas. If you've not done a thorough job at degassing, this could be the problem. You could also be experiencing a protein haze, which is usually prevented by the use of bentonite used in alcoholic fermentation, or it could be a pectin haze which can be knocked out with pectic enzyme.

Maybe we can help narrow it down if you'll tell us exactly what's been done so far............

Making pinot noir rose and racked at .996. Degassed for 5 minutes then added sulfites and sorbate. Then added Kieselsol and then waited 5 minutes and then added chitosan. I did that yesterday so I'm less than 24 hours.

Based on kits I've done in the past all the instructions say wait 5 minutes before adding the chitosan. So I didn't and maybe I should have waited the 24 hours but at this point is filtering my only option or can I wait a few days and do another round but this time wait the 24 hours?

I think you will need to verify that all the CO2 is out, put some in a hydrometer test tube, cover with your hand and shake. My guess is you will get quite a bit more out, until that is removed (either through time or agitation and lots of agitation) it won't clear. Then once the CO2 is removed, yes you can add more K & S (DualFine).

So this is pretty much secondary fermentation. I do have airlock on and a bubble every 30 seconds or so, so I know there's some fermentation going on so I'm confident of not allowing oxygen in. Just concerned about the clearing but I will let it sit for a couple weeks now before I look at it again. Thinking about cold stabilizing in a couple weeks for about 3 weeks so maybe at that time I can check the clearing and proceed with Kieselsol and Chitosan?

@rebusify I've had a similar issue in the past if the wine isn't degassed enough. Maybe give it a splash rack and stir to see if this helps. Then you can either give it time to clear or try the suplerkleer kc again in three weeks as Sal suggests.

Give it time. I always give my wines at least a week (sometimes 2 weeks) to outgas and clarify, I do add them just a few minutes apart. Of course you could skip the Kieselsol and Chitosan and just wait, time is the best way to clear your wine.

I thought the directions for Kieselsol and Chitosan say to wait 1 hour up to 24 before adding the second part?
Recent Winexpert and RJ Spagnol directions say to wait 24 hours. Some years back the instructions said to wait 5 minutes, and other vendors may be still saying 5 minutes.

What I've read says 1 to 24 hours. For recent kits I've degassed in a primary and added kieselsol. Put the lid on and wait an hour, then add the chitosan. Rack back into the carboy. A Cabernet and a Chardonnay both cleared fine.

23 liter kit instructions typically say to use a 23 liter carboy, so there is room to stir in the chitosan the next day.

I have all 19's, so the carboy is filled plus other containers. If I wait 24 hours, I'd have to rack again to get all the wine fined. Since the wine is continuing to emit CO2 for a while after degassing, leaving the wine in a covered primary is (to me) an acceptable risk.

Why the rush? I know it's a kit but be patient. It has to be fully de gassed like the others have said.
I have run into a problem when adding chitosan even after 24 hours of kieselsol. I have had wine crystal clear after kieselsol and then adding chitosan made it cloudy. I have remedied that by adding another kieselsol and it returned to crystal clear. Now if its clear after kieselsol than no need for chitosan addition. Just the way I do it.

When I was still doing kits, and still using fining agents, I'd vacuum degas my wines for a few minutes after fermentation was over, which is the most effective and quickest way to degas that I've ever found. I'd add the kieselsol and stir in well for a few minutes, then add the chitosan and stir well for a few minutes. As the wine was swirling around in the carboy, chunks of lightly colored lees would start to appear in the wine and settle as the wine was still swirling. Within a few hours there would be a substantial layer of lees, which would compact over the next few weeks. I'd always see a secondary settling line of clarity in the carboy during those two weeks, the clear and very dark wine appearing first in the neck and working its way down the carboy to the bottom, a mesmerizing process. I just clear with time now and don't even pay any attention to wine sitting in carboys for months at a time.

Why the rush? I know it's a kit but be patient. It has to be fully de gassed like the others have said.
I have run into a problem when adding chitosan even after 24 hours of kieselsol. I have had wine crystal clear after kieselsol and then adding chitosan made it cloudy. I have remedied that by adding another kieselsol and it returned to crystal clear. Now if its clear after kieselsol than no need for chitosan addition. Just the way I do it.
At 5 weeks into a 4 week Island Mist kit which wasn't clearing I went through a second round of kieselsol and chitosan. 24 hours after adding the kieselsol I noticed substantial clearing. But being a fanatic for following directions I added the chitosan anyway. It's now been cloudy for 48 hours with no signs of clearing! Wish I would have read this post earlier, I would have stopped after adding the kieselsol!

At 5 weeks into a 4 week Island Mist kit which wasn't clearing I went through a second round of kieselsol and chitosan. 24 hours after adding the kieselsol I noticed substantial clearing. But being a fanatic for following directions I added the chitosan anyway. It's now been cloudy for 48 hours with no signs of clearing! Wish I would have read this post earlier, I would have stopped after adding the kieselsol!
Lol! I've been in your shoes before. Some places sell kieselsol by itself. Rinse repeat?
https://www.homebrewing.org/Kieselsol--15-mL_p_9507.html

@WBW61, I've made 40+ kits and have used kieselsol/chitosan in non-kit wines, and have never experienced a problem. Considering the proven effectiveness of the combination, I question if the problem is not chitosan. Since it's a Fun Wine with fruit juice, you might add pectic enzyme. A kit should not need it, but it's a cheap potential solution.

When I was still doing kits, and still using fining agents, I'd vacuum degas my wines for a few minutes after fermentation was over, which is the most effective and quickest way to degas that I've ever found. I'd add the kieselsol and stir in well for a few minutes, then add the chitosan and stir well for a few minutes. As the wine was swirling around in the carboy, chunks of lightly colored lees would start to appear in the wine and settle as the wine was still swirling. Within a few hours there would be a substantial layer of lees, which would compact over the next few weeks. I'd always see a secondary settling line of clarity in the carboy during those two weeks, the clear and very dark wine appearing first in the neck and working its way down the carboy to the bottom, a mesmerizing process. I just clear with time now and don't even pay any attention to wine sitting in carboys for months at a time.

Would you add the same amount of kieselsol the second time? I'm a couple weeks since adding the kieselsol/chitosan so should I wait a few more weeks then add the kieselsol? What amount would you add the second time to 6 gallons?

Would you add the same amount of kieselsol the second time? I'm a couple weeks since adding the kieselsol/chitosan so should I wait a few more weeks then add the kieselsol? What amount would you add the second time to 6 gallons?
When I’ve had to reapply, it’s always been the chitosan that was underdosed. Before adding any clarifiers, make sure your wine is totally free of CO2, is kept in the mid 70’s, and you’ve given it ample time to clear. Too much fining can have a detrimental effect on your wine, so don’t overdo it!!

Latest posts

Back