Kieselsol & Chitosan not working - Could my apple wine have been messed up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmetgo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I used Kieselsol & Chitosan to fine my apple wine after the fermentation finishes (about 2 months ago), but they did not clear the wine even though I had degassed it with drill, and used right amounts of Kieselsol & Chitosan, and temperature was definetely more than 70 F. I waited two more months in order to try to clear the wine again. I repeated the same process again, and nothing has just happened as 3 days passed. My wine is still cloudy.

What do you think I should do now? As I added double dosage of these agents so far, I worry about the taste of the wine to be spoiled, so I don't want to use them again. Is it a good idea to use Bentonite on this stage?

Thanks in advance

I've had pectic haze with apple before. Best to treat it with pectic enzyme before alcoholic fermentation to break down the pectins in the apple but after AF is complete I've had good luck with using a double dose of pectic enzyme to help clear an apple wine.

Cheers!
-johann

I've had pectic haze with apple before. Best to treat it with pectic enzyme before alcoholic fermentation to break down the pectins in the apple but after AF is complete I've had good luck with using a double dose of pectic enzyme to help clear an apple wine.

Cheers!
-johann
Thanks for your response! I used pectic enzyme on the first day before adding yeast actually. I'll consider about using it again on this phase.

Apple is a pita, I suggest cold crashing but that might not help. Time is the only sure answer.

Yup Apple and Peach two tough wines to clear sometimes. I've had pretty good luck with apple but not great luck. Peach on the other hand is a ROYAL PITA and if I didn't love that wine so much I wouldn't bother with it but it's worth every bit of trouble.

Yup Apple and Peach two tough wines to clear sometimes. I've had pretty good luck with apple but not great luck. Peach on the other hand is a ROYAL PITA and if I didn't love that wine so much I wouldn't bother with it but it's worth every bit of trouble.
That’s a fact. Love some good peach wine.

I h
Hi,

I used Kieselsol & Chitosan to fine my apple wine after the fermentation finishes (about 2 months ago), but they did not clear the wine even though I had degassed it with drill, and used right amounts of Kieselsol & Chitosan, and temperature was definetely more than 70 F. I waited two more months in order to try to clear the wine again. I repeated the same process again, and nothing has just happened as 3 days passed. My wine is still cloudy.

What do you think I should do now? As I added double dosage of these agents so far, I worry about the taste of the wine to be spoiled, so I don't want to use them again. Is it a good idea to use Bentonite on this stage?

Thanks in advance
I have found great success with using crushed eggshells for difficult to clear wines ie., rhubarb and peach..............................................DzzyIzzy

Thanks for your advice DizzyIzzy !

As I noticed no progress since I added triple dose of pectic enzyme to my 3-4 month-old apple wine, I want to use bentonite as last resort. Should I stop?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back