Kickstart stuck ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkchopmessiah

Reaction score
So, I wanna throw this out to you all, I have 2 stuck ferments, nesr the end of process. Neither has budged in 2 days, zin stuck at 1.002 and sangiovese at 1.006. Used bm4x4 in both.
Started making my ec1118 starters last night.
My question is, would it be smarter to press now and add starter to the secondary or put it into primary..
anytime I've had a ferment issue it's been in the beginning not at end.
My concerns are mostly with regard to spoilage, and my Mlf (I coinnoculated, my chromo is drying out now so I'll see my progress after work.)

I think I would go ahead an press and hope that is enough to kick start fermentation again, getting a ferment to restart when you are down as low as you are is a real crap shoot. I am assuming you are already at 13% abv or so. Even ec1118 has a hard time getting started at that low. I would certainly acclimate the yeast slowly to the high alcohol by making a BIG (triple or quadruple batch) of yeast for each, add in that amount of must, see if it will start fermenting, then double the amount again in an hour or two, repeat until you have it going well.

So, update.....crisis over
Just for the hell of it, bc the idea of having 2 stuck ferments seemed like getting stuck by lightning twice on a tuesday....decided to check my equipment ....(broke my fav hydrometer just after crush)
Hydrometer was way off in water, got 2 replacements today...

Yay!20200923_151444.jpg20200923_151029.jpg

Attachments

• 20200923_151217.jpg
    20200923_151217.jpg
    932 KB · Views: 16
Just for the hell of it, bc the idea of having 2 stuck ferments seemed like getting stuck by lightning twice on a tuesday....decided to check my equipment ....(broke my fav hydrometer just after crush)

Yay!View attachment 66291View attachment 66292
Very nice, dry as a bone!!

Glad it was the simplest of explanations and fixes. I recently read somewhere that the triple scale hydrometers we all use are of by a fair amount at the low end and that it might be worth getting a set of high precision ones. Now to convince the CFO (also know as SWMBO)
There have been times where I have checked them against each other, and were ok...cant imagine what happened..

Yay!View attachment 66291View attachment 66292
Dayum! Almost buried it! Glad it wasn’t worst case scenario. If I recall correctly tho didn’t you have this same exact hydrometer issue last year?

Back