Keuka Lake tour - round 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's our last night camping near Keuka Lake, just a mile or so down the road from Dr. Frank's. Did a similar trip 2 years ago.

Here is/ was the itinerary:
Monday-Seneca Lake
Miles Wine Cellars
Hermann Wiemer
Shaw Vineyards
Tuesday-Keuka Lake
Dr Konstantin Frank
Heron Hill
Keuka Lake Vineyards
back to Dr Frank's to split a bottle on the porch.
Wednesday-Keuka Lake
Weis Wine Cellars
Vineyard View
Hunt Country

We showed great restraint and only purchased 6 cases along the way. Fabulous few days of tasting. Many new variations since our last visit. Several folks with nice dry Roses and refreshing dry sparkling wine. Now we have a good bit of wine to help us relive the experience.

Had a very good week. Couple pics near Dr Frank's.

Attachments

• IMG_20180801_155143.jpg
    IMG_20180801_155143.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180801_193406.jpg
    IMG_20180801_193406.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 17
Nice! Thanks for posting that. I am heading to that part of the world soon for my niece's wedding. Mrs. Sour Grapes and I were talking about possible wine "activities," which, in the past, have been centered on Seneca. Keuka would be "closer to home," so I appreciate your pointing out all the options there!

Here's a sampling of the Dry Rose's and Sparkling Wines we have picked up recently. Most, but not all were acquired on this trip. The others came from Seneca & Cayuga Lake wineries.

upload_2018-8-3_11-18-45.png

upload_2018-8-3_11-19-38.png

Nice! Thanks for posting that. I am heading to that part of the world soon for my niece's wedding. Mrs. Sour Grapes and I were talking about possible wine "activities," which, in the past, have been centered on Seneca. Keuka would be "closer to home," so I appreciate your pointing out all the options there!

Hope you have ample opportunity to do some sampling around the wedding. Our top Keuka picks are Weis, Dr. Frank and Keuka Lake Vineyard. If you wander over to the west side of Seneca, Miles Winery is a hidden gem in a historic old mansion with a very nice bar/dock/seating area right one the lake. In addition to the usual selection of Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Cab Franc and Gruner Veltliner, we sampled Vignoles (gently dry), Rkatsiteli, Pinot Blanc and the aforementioned Dry Rose's. Enjoy!

Thanks so much, TJ!

This is kinda funny: Literally the last thing I read before reading your post was a wine article from a newspaper, which was pointing out cheaper growing regions that produce wines similar to the expensive, well-known ones:

If you love Riesling, you’re in luck: Germany makes some delicious cheap ones as well as the world’s best. As I write this, I’m sipping a delicious, minerally 2017 Humphreys Vineyard Riesling from Keuka Spring Vineyards in New York’s Finger Lakes. I also enjoy Riesling from Washington’s Columbia Valley (Poet’s Leap), Oregon’s Willamette Valley (Brooks), New Zealand’s Marlborough (Spy Valley) and Australia (Frankland Estate).

Thanks for this post. We are leaving in 10 days in our RV heading to Maine. We have 4 nights reserved in the Finger Lakes area. Cayuga State Park, but we will be traveling around that whole area. Haven’t been there in over 15 years so really looking forward to it. Roy

Back