Vineco Kenridge Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainayeh

Junior
Reaction score
Just started this batch and its my first trial at Port. Had a lot of success with their wine kits so i figured i'd try the Port and Sherry.
One thing that worries me, the kit includes a flavour bag which may make the port way too sweet. I had this problem with a Pinot kit that included a kit and had to throw it out as it made the wine too sweet. Any experience with this I owuld appreciate the input.

Which Pinot Noir kit are you talking about? The Niagara Mist Black Cherry Pinot Noir?

BTW, Port is a sweet wine, as is sherry. According to Vineco, sugar code 8. The Niagara Mist Black Cherry Pinot Noir is only a 6. If you don't like sweet wines, why are you making these?

BTW, the ice wines are sugar code 18/20.

Steve

The Kit is PORT. Not sure what grapes they're using.
It does state the sweetness at 8 and I expect the wine to be somewhat sweet, i am just trying to see if the add on (small) bag they give you should be added in small parts and tested for sweetness or do i really need the whole bag.
I a making the wine for my wife, she like Port and Sherry.

Just started this batch and its my first trial at Port. Had a lot of success with their wine kits so i figured i'd try the Port and Sherry.
One thing that worries me, the kit includes a flavour bag which may make the port way too sweet. I had this problem with a Pinot kit that included a kit and had to throw it out as it made the wine too sweet. Any experience with this I owuld appreciate the input.

Let it sit for couple of months. I did chocolate orange and it was unbearable sweet at the begining - now 8 months the sweetenes is gone and it is very drinkable.

Chocolate Strawberry Port

I am making a chocolate strawberry from ( Kenridge )
It is just finishing the clearing stage. I am just wondering if i should bulk age this batch for a few months? From what i have read here I think i should.

I purchased the kit last night from my local distributor who I have been dealing with for years. He let me try the last batch he made from the same kit only a month ago.

What he recomended was to make the kit as directed and just before you bottle you add a 375ml bottle of Brandy to it.

His batch was unbelievable.

I just started a batch of KenRidge Hazelnut Chocolate Port, and like the OP I'm a bit concerned that the flavour packet might be too much. Traditional Port is the only sweet wine I enjoy, and in general I am not a fan of added artificial flavours.

The kit says omitting the flavour packet will result in a plain Chocolate Port, so I was thinking I'd bottle half plain and then add half the packet to the rest. Has anyone dabbled in this? Any opinions about the flavour packets?

Edit: I should clarify that I am referring to the little ketchup-packet of syrupy goop... not the larger "reserve bag" of juice which goes in at clearing.

Last edited:
I think you'd be fine splitting the batch between plain chocolate vs. flavored chocolate. Would definitely recommend you measure carefully when halving the flavor packet. If it were me, I'd measure it with a sanitized liquid medicine syringe (the 10 ml size, generally included with children's liquid medicines) and get the correct dosage.

You could bottle the plain chocolate portion immediately upon splitting the batch in two, but I would wait at least a couple days to bottle the rest so the flavor had time to evenly work its way all around the remaining wine.

My two cents....

Good tips, Brant, thank you. I'm sure any imbalance in that flavouring could be disastrous :)

Follow up: I chickened out and decided to follow instructions, flavour packet and all. Sweetness was not excessive for a port, in fact I was surprised at how well it masks the harshness of the young wine. Quite drinkable immediately after clearing, it should be very nice after 8-12 months.

Latest posts

Back