Vineco KenRidge Classic Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineomaker

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle my KenRidge Classic Viognier kit and don't know if it should taste flat and lacking fruit body and slightly hot in finish, is this normal for a kit ready to bottle per instructions 30 day kit, or would aging take care of the flat taste, that's what concerns me the most, or can it be tweaked a little for a better taste,

Ive had a few wines that were pretty tasteless like that and opened up nicely over time. I have never made this kit before though and not very familiar with this brand as its just not offered around here, is the a 15-18 liter kit or lower?

My initial thoughts:
- time will certainly help any kit. Give it some time to come around.
- recommend you try a sample that has been chilled a bit. Whites served too hot tend to show like you described.

Very young wine most of the time will not taste or smell like it will after proper aging. That Viognier should be much better in about 6 months.

One thing you might try, although I have never tried it with a white -
Take a small plastic bottle, like a store-bought, 8oz plastic water bottle and fill it about 2/3 full of your wine. Put it in your freezer for a week, then let it thaw at room temperature. At about 58 to 60F, it should taste much more like it will normally taste after about 5 or 6 months, except the middle might not show up as well as it will with "real" aging.

Try it just for the fun of it!

I made this same kit a few months ago after seeing it had been a recent winner at one of the Winemakers competitions. I was very pleased with the way the wine turned out. I bottled mine in early November of 2010 and the bottles we are opening now are very good. It has improved as it aged though the early bottles (about 6 weeks after bottling) were not bad. I didn't really notice any flat taste. We typically haved serve it well chilled as well.

I made this same kit a few months ago after seeing it had been a recent winner at one of the Winemakers competitions. I was very pleased with the way the wine turned out. I bottled mine in early November of 2010 and the bottles we are opening now are very good. It has improved as it aged though the early bottles (about 6 weeks after bottling) were not bad. I didn't really notice any flat taste. We typically haved serve it well chilled as well.

Thanks everyone, Did you back-sweeten your kit or leave it as is, mine is at .990 and I went ahead and bottled it, now i wish i had sweetened it to at least 1.00 , Can I open up all the bottles sweeten and re bottle the wine or is this asking for trouble. Thanks
Jim

I am ready to bottle my KenRidge Classic Viognier kit and don't know if it should taste flat and lacking fruit body and slightly hot in finish, is this normal for a kit ready to bottle per instructions 30 day kit, or would aging take care of the flat taste, that's what concerns me the most, or can it be tweaked a little for a better taste,

I'm also just at the bottling stage with this one and yes mine also tastes quite flat, no fruit and quite acidic. Which is a bit odd as I got this one for it's 'floral bouquet exotic finish' etc. It currently has no taste at all other than a bit acidic. However, I bottled a Kenridge Classic Chardonnay two months ago and the taste has gone from slightly acidic (on bottling) to full and rounded but no fruit (after one month) to well balanced and absolutely beautiful (after two months) I'm hoping something similiar will happen with this one. btw did you have any problem clearing the Viognier? After the recommended six day wait mine is still slightly cloudy so I'm letting it sit for a few days in cool conditions

Thanks everyone, Did you back-sweeten your kit or leave it as is, mine is at .990 and I went ahead and bottled it, now i wish i had sweetened it to at least 1.00 , Can I open up all the bottles sweeten and re bottle the wine or is this asking for trouble. Thanks
Jim

I would leave off any back sweetening for now. I was about to add additives to the Chardonnay I mentioned in my other reply but after two months it was perfect. Bearing in mind the Viognier is designed to finally taste very floral with a touch of honeyed sweetness any extra sweetness you add might ruin it when it matures in a couple of months. Of course you could back sweeten it and drink the whole lot in two weeks....;)

P.S

penguin;However said:
When I say 'bottled' I should add though that I store my wines in a 20 litre Vinotainer and bulk ageing wine this way (apparently) makes them mature more quickly than when aged in bottles. Some would say too quickly but I haven't noticed any ill effects.

I have tried both the ken-ridge Viognier and the Chardonnay, i have actually done two kits of the viognier, Both time i found it to have a nice Bold taste the quickly leave with little to no after taste for up to one month after bottling but toning down quit a bit with age. And as penguin has said about the chardonnay it was acidic at bottling time, and i bulk aged mine for 6 months, but started to smooth nicely after a few months. I did how ever condition half at bottling for early consumption.

Back