Keeping single varietal vs. blending for what you like?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made 15-20 gallons of Chardonnay in 2016, 2017. Silver medal winner at the CA state fair. We really enjoy it, but wanted to do something different this year, so I made around 25 gallons of Viognier. I would say it is a decent Viognier, but not as appealing to the wife and I as the previous two years of Chardonnay.

I've already done some blending of my 2017 Chardonnay with the 2018 Viognier and it definitely makes the Viognier something we would enjoy drinking more than just the Viognier by itself. We would end up with kind of a weird blend Viognier-nay. I found that it doesn't take much Chard to dominate the Vio, but once I do it, there's no going back.

I did a limited edition kit a couple years ago that was a Char/Vio blend. Not too crazy about it, TBH, but I don't blame that on the blend. I think the two would make a good partnership.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Viognier.

Last edited:
I like Viognier by itself (first kit I ever made) but it's not an everyday wine for me, nor am I gonna finish off the whole bottle like a Cab or about any other red wine. If adding some Chardonnay makes it more interesting, and your better half will drink it (and not bemoan the fact that you "ruined" some of her Chardonnay later on), I'd go for it for sure.

I've heard about Viognier and Muscat both being used in small quantities for blending with Chardonnay to provide additional fruit and floral aromatics. I say go with what you like.

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll do some bench trials and throw as little Chard as possible to make it a Vio we (she) likes.

Back